• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Newbie help

PaulaG

Hello, I am quite new to fish keeping, but I am already addicted. I've just bought a new bigger tank, it's 260L, and I am looking around at stocking idea's. I really love the look of some Dwarf Cichlids, in particular the Panda(Apistogramma nijsseni) and the Cockatoo(Apistogramma cacatuoides).

I'm wondering if I could keep a pair of each of these species in my new tank once it's established?

Thanks

PaulaG

Fully planted, with some open spaces at the front, with bogwood running along the middle from left to right. The bogwood is positioned to have hiding places. The plants are just fresh cut stem plants, so they will give more cover when they fill out more.
FishAv.jpg~original

PaulaG

Potential tank mates would be Corys, a small pleco, black phantom tetra's and bleeding heart tetra's, and Angelfish.

If a pair of each wouldnt work, would a group of 3/4 of one species be okay, 1M/3F?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Question: do you want a breeding tank or a community tank? It's almost impossible to have both. Read up on the fish that you want to keep. Most are schooling fish (corys, tetra, and even angelfish at times). 6-7 of each is best.

PaulaG

I have read up on the other fish, and I do have some of the Tetra's and Corys already in my smaller tank, so I know about group sizes as far as they go. And I do realise that because I want to keep Apisto's in with these fish it cannot be a breeding tank, and I'm fine with that at this time. Depending on my growing addiction that may change, and I may eventually focus more on Apisto's :)

The reason I came to this forum was because there is such a lot of different advice on the internet, and for lfs depending of which one you visit regarding keeping Apisto's. It was mainly to see if my tank would be okay for two pairs, as it is, or whether a group of a single species would be better. Or if I could make adjustments in decor to suit two different pairs.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
In community tanks of your size I usually recommend adding 3, maybe more, males of different species, with different shapes and finnage. They are more colorful than females and show better in a community setting. They will interact with each other but usually aren't as aggressive as when with females ready to breed. Unless one wants to breed an apisto there's really no need for females. Females in a tank will only inspire the urge to breed and for males to become more aggressive in defending territory. This often leads to increased stress for the other community members (and vice versa), something you really don't want. If you truly don't want to breed, then keep schooling fish in small schools and lower the stress level for all by not encouraging heightened aggression by territorial species trying to set up breeding territories. Just my opinion.

PaulaG

Great, thanks Mike, the 3 males sounds even better.

Would you say the Cockatoo and Panda males would be okay together then? And just to pester you even further, do you have any other suggestions for a last male, if these two would work together? I'll go and have a look around now of course, but any advice from yourself is also welcome :)

PaulaG

Hmm, on the shape and finnage, would Forktail Rainbow fish look too similar to be okay in the tank with Apisto's?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A third species that should work is one shaped like forms of the agassizii-group, eunotus-complex or macmasteri-group. Pseudomugil furcatus should adapt to similar water values and other apistophiles have used them as dither fish. Since they are surface oriented apistos generally ignore them.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marakely

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(