• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to me

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Wild caught from Uruguay but they had an extended stay on a Florida farm
1 3/4"-2 1/2"
Arrived Friday

So WHAT species are they???

IMG_6525.jpg

IMG_6526.jpg

IMG_6528.jpg

IMG_6533.jpg

IMG_6573.jpg

IMG_6576.jpg

IMG_6577.jpg

IMG_6584.jpg

IMG_6589.jpg

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
With the usual proviso that I am extremely poor at this, their catching location would suggest either A. inconspicua or A. commbrae.

cheers Darrel

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
It's the country of origin that's throwing me. My guess is it's something that really hasn't made it out as a commercial export before and only been brought out by hobbiesst collectors.

It looks like s regani complex fish just because of the colors...or lack there of...but the fish are so large that doesn't seem right either.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
Just to make you feel better, I agree with Darrel, it looks like fish collected by Felipe Cantera near Salto, Uruguay.

He is who most likely collected them as the farm I got them from is the one producing the Gymnogeos in the US.

So what does that make them though Mike? combrae, sp. aff. combrae, cf. combrae, ???

P.W.

5 Year Member
It's the country of origin that's throwing me. My guess is it's something that really hasn't made it out as a commercial export before and only been brought out by hobbiesst collectors.

It looks like s regani complex fish just because of the colors...or lack there of...but the fish are so large that doesn't seem right either.

I just have one male Commbrae in one of my tanks, but he is not as colorful as the male in your picture. You wrote that they are large compared to Regani group species. What is the size of your male? Commbrae is a small species, the males are at max 6 cm lenght. At least the ones I have had in my tanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….