• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to Keeping Apisto...What Should I Get?

the curious

New Member
Messages
2
Hey guys, new to the forum, but I've been keeping fish for a few years. Got a new tank I'm setting up and I have decided to get a pair or two of apistos. The other tank occupants will be 6 metea cories, 6 pristella tetras, a pair of keyhole cichlids, and a pair of angels or festivum.

Just trying to think of a good pair or two, I am interested in breeding as well. Any suggestions?


Thanks guys
 

tjudy

Moderator
Staff member
5 Year Member
Messages
2,822
Location
Stoughton, WI
Welcome to the forum.

How large is the aquarium?

If the goal is to get the apistos to breed you should consider making them the only cichlids in the tank. The larger cichlids you mention (angels and festivums) will stress a breeding pair of apistos unless the tank is very large and the dwarf cichlids can really hide out back in a quiet corner. The keyhole cichlids share a microhabitat with the apistos, so would be direct competitors for space and caves.

A large (55 gallon+) community tank with the fish you mention and a colony of something like Apisto. cacatuoides would probably be ok, so long as you not expect to save fry.
 

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
18,792
Messages
125,189
Members
13,675
Latest member
Phap

Latest profile posts

Re-designing and starting a new fish room all over again. This time we'll have many more Apistsogramma species. We are expanding.
dimandobson wrote on Arnold's profile.
hi
dimandobson wrote on Ben Bergman's profile.
Hi Bergman. I have a pair of breeding dwarf cichlid for sale. if you are still looking, drop me your whatsapp number and i will send some videos to your whatsapp
martin_c wrote on illumnae's profile.
Hi,

just in case you happen to live in Germany (or Netherlands): I have a wildcaught female A. psammophila, you could have it for free. I have no use for it anymore.

BR
Martin
Top