• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to Apisto's

MyLifeAsAFish

5 Year Member
Hello everyone, I am new to dwarf cichlids, but not to fishkeeping. I have 14 aquariums, the largest being 90 gallons. I keep Discus, africans from Lakes Malawi and Tanganyika and some of the more peaceful, larger south american cichlids. I have recently became interested in the dwarf cichlids. I have set up a 37 gallon tank for them and purchased a pair of Apisto's yesterday that the fish shop didn't know for sure what type they are. The shop owner said that he thought they might be Cacatuiodes. However, all photos that I have seen do not indicate this. Perhaps some of you more experienced dwarf keepers can identify this fish. They are rather "bland" in color, but were the only Apisto's in town. The market here in Louisville, Kentucky is virtually nil and I am looking for a reputable mail order dealer to purchase some fish from.

I would like to post a picture of the fish in question, but I don't see a way to post photos. Am I overlooking something?

Anyway, I am looking forward to increasing my knowledge of these little beauties and along the way maybe I'll be able to share some of the little that I know. :)

Spring

Randall

5 Year Member
Posting Photos

Dear Spring,

If you like, you can note the link to your photo(s) here in the Forum. Simply type in the address, highlight it and click on the "URL" icon above.

Thanks!

Randall Kohn

Randall

5 Year Member
Apisto ID

Dear Spring,

Just had a look at your apisto photo. Sorry, but the image is too blury for me to discern many distinguishing characteristics. Can you take another photo, please?

Thanks!

Randall Kohn

kribs

5 Year Member
HI
The pic is blurry.But the fihs looks like a wild verison of a cacutoides or could be bitaniata tefe. :D

Neil

MyLifeAsAFish,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

I love that name! :D I edited your post to include the full link to the picture that is in question. You just needed to go all the way to your actual post and then take the URL.
It could well be a cacatuoides. If you can see 2 or 3 stripes just below the mid portion of the fish, then it is likely a cacatuoides. These are called sub-lateral lines and are common to a few other species, but likely associated with a cacatuoides in your case. The reason that the pics that you have seen to not coordinate with the fish that you have is that it is likely that you have been looking at different species-forms of cacatuoides. It is very possibly a wild fish that you have and they typically are not so ornate as the aquarium strain fish that are widely pictured on the net and in books.
If you get the chance to snap a little clearer pic, we can probably be a little more helpful.
Neil

Neil

It sure did.
You have a cacatuoides-group fish there. That kind of looks like a juruensis, but I am not sure. They are very similar. The lack of marking on any of the unpaired fins makes it difficult to tell. I would be suprised if it was a good ole wild cacatuoides. How about a pic of the female?
Neil

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
Looks like wild cacs to me or possibly luelingi the dot on the side kind of throws me I've never seen cac males with it so noticeable.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RamigLag

Latest profile posts

jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Please send me info regarding cuipeua. Thx, Joe.
jloponte wrote on hongyj's profile.
Where are you located?
Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(