• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New to apisto need help.

bir123

Hi everyone 2 days ago I go my first pair of apisto .They are in a 24 by 12 by 12 aquarium .The aquarium has a tetra pf 10 and a sponge filter .The hard scape is simple 2 clay pots and a coconut cave ,also bought some Malaysian drift wood but it is currently soaking,I am planning to put some javafern and ricia on the wood after it is cure .
Please give me some advice and tell me what else I need to do or stop doing thanks.
The last pic is the male before I got him he was being housed in a planted aquarium with his female.
The male is about 1.75 inch and the female is 1.5.When the previous owner was catching the fish he found that they have layed about 20 eggs
.That was their first spawn.

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1414291450048.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1414291450048.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 372
  • uploadfromtaptalk1414291492210.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1414291492210.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 392
  • uploadfromtaptalk1414291548811.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1414291548811.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 377
  • uploadfromtaptalk1414291599853.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1414291599853.jpg
    55.5 KB · Views: 362

chris1805

5 Year Member
Hi,
I am definitely not an expert but the first tip i would like to give you is about your bottom. Apisto's really like sand, they take sand in their mouth filter it for food and than spit the sand out. Well in your case that is really not possible with that heavy gravel. The heavy gravel also makes your water harder, which apisto's don't like. I know changing your bottom is not easy but keep it in mind.
Secondly you could put some catalpa leaves in your water if you can find them. The catalpa leaves soften your water, and they irritate the skin of the fish, which gives them a thicker slimy skin which prevents them a bit better against some diseases.
And third you should also put the in driftwood in as soon as possible, it softens the water also and provides some hiding places for the female. Also try to create a bit more hiding places in your tank, which you can either do by adding wood( which you are already doing) adding some plants(which you are planning to do) and adding leaves.

Besides do you have some information about your water? like ph and kh? So we can try to help you as much as possible :)
I hope you find my information usefull and goodluck! :)

Chris

bir123

Thanks for the help so far.
I am actually going to my lfs this Saturday and will be looking at the sand or might go and buy play sand.
I currently only have a ph test kit right now but ordered a full one online.
Where I live the water ph seems to be 6.5 and the temp is between 78 and 80℃ year round.

chris1805

5 Year Member
You are definitely lucky with tap water like that. Mine comes out with a ph of 8.4... Just be careful with switching to sand, you have to get all your water + fish out than change to sand and refill your tank with your OLD water. Otherwise you will lose to much bacteria. Also don't forget to wash the sand before you put it in.

bir123

Yes I am lucky:) . And I would be following your steps to change the substrate.But what type of sand would you recomend play sand or sand that the lfs sell.

chris1805

5 Year Member
I would recommend sand that the lfs sells, play sand does the job and is probably cheaper but the sand your lfs sells you is probably a bit "heavier". The problem with play sand is that it's not giving a clean view for a few days, where that does not happen with lfs sand (if they sell you proper sand ofcourse). Since you already have fish you don't want those kind of problems with your sand so that is why i would recommend sand from the lfs. I have heard stories where people used play sand and it toke them about 2-3 weeks to get their water clear.

bir123

Thanks never knew that play sand did that.So it's the lfs sand for me then.Thanks for the help will keep you guy's updated on my journey.

bir123

Can anyone recommend any fish that can be kept with a pair of apisto and would not eat fry.I currently have 7 sterbai corys with my pair

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1414459699623.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1414459699623.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 359

bir123

Will check the pool filter sand Todd Otterbein and thanks
Thanks regani the cories shall be placed in another tank and those fishes listed will be checked.

Thanks for the help you guys

bir123

Ok so.added the wood and sum plants today .But I did not buy the sand so this would have to do for now.
Here are some pic

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1415311531105.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415311531105.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 328
  • uploadfromtaptalk1415311567327.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415311567327.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 302
  • uploadfromtaptalk1415311593389.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415311593389.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 324
  • uploadfromtaptalk1415311626660.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1415311626660.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 314

Todd Otterbein

Ok so.added the wood and sum plants today .But I did not buy the sand so this would have to do for now.
Here are some pic
Here are some pic
Here are some pic
I noticed there is no background on tank. Adding one will help fish feel more secure. I paint my tank backs flat black. Maybe sink flower pots into gravel half way or so. I get one and two inch pots at hobby store. Get sand. Fish will appreciate it. Good luck. Todd

bir123

Yea there is no background buy there is Styrofoam instead.I just went and sink the flower pot.working on getting sand and thanks.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….