• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New spawns in the fishroom..This week!!

ste12000

5 Year Member
Ive been off work ill for the last week and will also be off work this coming week, Luckily for me its given me time to setup some new breeding projects and also get the fishroom working to maximum efficiency.
I have had loads of spawnings over the last week and now i have loads of females with eggs and fingers crossed will have fry by the end of the week??.....I hope???

First is the one fish that brought her fry out last week, this is a F1 female Apistogramma cacatuoides "Yarina cocha" from my spawnings last year, they are now mature(just) and this is the first of the F2 fish...Really nice fish when they mature slightly more..
DSCF8261.jpg

Secondly is a new species for me. Apistogramma sp aff 'cruzi'. I bought a pair of these from the BCA convention on the 19th April and finally set them up in a breeding tank last week, it only took two days and they spawned, the female is extremely defensive of the spawning territory and the males been removed for his own safety, they spawned 2 days ago so fingers crossed the fry will be with me by the end of the week..Nice fish and im enjoying them.
DSCF8170.jpg

Third is a first for me and a species i have waited over a year to try again with. I had a pair of Apistogramma iniridae over a year ago and could'nt get them to spawn, i picked up a wild pair a month ago and set them up in a breeding tank last week, last night they spawned and today the female has been parading the start of her brood colours..Im over the moon to spawn this difficult species at last..Fingers crossed for fry.
DSCF8364.jpg

Forth and another nice species i picked up from the BCA convention. Apistogramma barlowi, this wild pair were set up last week and took to each other straight away, after several days courtship they spawned three days ago and im expecting to witness the start of the mouthbrooding that these fish practice when the larvae hatch out of the egg after three days..Cant wait!
DSCF8279.jpg

Fifth is a species i have had for a while now, Apistogramma cf hongsloi, these wild fish are stunners and are in a harem in my living room tank, i lost a couple of females so now its 2 female and one male, these fish breed every week or so but i have'nt took the time to take many pics, this one shows the female in broodcare colours with the male standing guard above her...Ill put this pair into a breeding tank soon to actually raise some fry, i must of had around a dozen spawning and all fry have vanished due to the other residents..I really do need to preserve this fish in the hobby...
DSCF8484.jpg

Hope you enjoy the pics as much as im enjoying my fishkeeping at the minute..Ill be even happier next week when all the fry show themselves..

yob17

5 Year Member
Apistogramma cf hongsloi is very nice !!!

Do you have pics for Apisto cacatuoides male ?

ste12000

5 Year Member
Cheers Ricardo, your right, there should be a baby boom next week!! fingers crossed that it all works out ok!!

Drammy the sand is childrens playpit sand..You need to be careful and test each substrate you want to use, resent tests have seen several potential substrates raise the hardness in a test glass before being used in the tanks, anything that is inert is ideal for apisto tanks..

Yob17, i can remember your name but unfortunately cannot spell it! I dont want to embarrass myself and offend you!!
We met when you traveled to the UK to meet Mark, Mark then brought you to visit my fishroom before we went out for the day looking at fishrooms and shops..I hope you enjoyed your visit(How did the Congochromis do when back in France!).
The cf hongsloi are stunning fish, i really need to raise some fry and secure this wild strain in the UK, i bought all 12 fish that were imported so its douptful that anyone else has them, ill save this batch that they are sat with now and will raise some up.
The cacatuoides are stunning and the fish pictured are only around 6 months old, the male and the wild father can be seen below, the collection location is confirmed by Tom C from Norway who collected the origonal fish.
The younger male still has plenty of growing left before he looks as special as his father!

WILD MALE
DSCF5203-1.jpg

F1 MALE @ 6 months old.
DSCF8341.jpg

dw1305

5 Year Member
Apistogramma wild type colours

Hi all,
They look great Steve,
I really like the colours on the wild type hongsloi and cacatuoides males, I like them much more than the commercially available red forms of both.

The ventral fins on the male cacatuoides are stunning, and the dorsal fin development looks good too.

cheers Darrel

ste12000

5 Year Member
Hi, i dont have any really clear pics of the male just yet, they had only been in the breeding tank for a matter of days before they spawned, the females cave is right up against the front glass so the males sticking to the rear of the aquarium..These are a couple of quick shots..
DSCF9571.jpg

DSCF8132.jpg

yob17

5 Year Member
Hi steve,

I remember you and my visit for you ; you have a fishroom very nice and clean !
Congochromis go well, they're at a friend who was crazy by seeing them :biggrin:, Ive not place in my fishroom to breed them !
I've promised pics of my fish, I would make a post to present my fishroom !

I repeat me : beautiful fish !

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….