• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New member from Ohio

gcrace

IMG_0103.JPG
Hello everyone.
I recently set up a new tank after a decades long absents from the hobby living life i suppose. I stumbled across Apistogramma.com looking for some info concerning Krib fry growth rates.
Basically to not ramble on to long here i purchased a pair of kribs a couple weeks ago and they spawned like the 3rd day and now the fry are free swimming now and have been so for about a week and was looking for a bit of info about there growth rate. Ive always been a fan of dwarf cichlids ,even way back when i had a couple tanks Im already plotting my justification of adding a second tank.
Anyhow here i am. Pic is of parents and a few of the babys made it into frame.

FishEZ

5 Year Member
Welcome to the group. I am impressed with your photo and can't believe how quickly they spawned after you got them. That is a nice "family" you have there. I have one male Krib (Pelvicachromis pulcher) but no female. He is pretty aggressive with other fish in my tank. With a spawning pair, I imagine you have them by themselves.

gcrace

Thanks for the welcome. Yes i think i was really fortunate on the rapid spawning this pair kicked out. The tank has just finished up with its cycling actually. Its now been up and running around 7 weeks.
No the pair doesn't have the tank to themselves. It also has 6 zebra danios and 3 australian rainbow fish. The Kribs aggression is pretty mild towards the zebras but has gotten a bit worse towards the rainbows since the fry have become free swimming. Especially the female! As long as they stay out of sight everything is good but if she sees them she will persist until shes satisfied.
There was an estimated 35-45 fry in the beginning but were down to 20 or so. Fry has been free swimming 6 days now and have grown noticeably. They are around 1/4 inch now i would guess. Maybe slightly under a 1/4. But all thing considered there coming along good since i was not prepared for the spawn so soon. I actually am getting on a plane for Las Vegas tomorrow and will return friday. I am assuming all fry will probably be lost by the time i return.
I do plan on setting up another tank soon after i get back and will have some more options for future spawns. Its certainly been a blast watching the parents take such good care of there brood. Im hoping to get into some apistos down the road but not sure what my options are. Im on a well and my water is liquid rock!
But anyhow its great to have a tank up again and thanks again for the welcome!

Greg

FishEZ

5 Year Member
Welcome to the group. I am impressed with your photo and can't believe how quickly they spawned after you got them. That is a nice "family" you have there. I have one male Krib (Pelvicachromis pulcher) but no female. He is pretty aggressive with other fish in my tank. With a spawning pair, I imagine you have them by themselves.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….