• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New here and need advise on getting substrate

Cookie_apisto

Hi I am new here and new to Apisto also. I need some advise on getting substrate (except soil) for my dwarf cichlid tank. I going to stock two pair of apisto, a pair of checkerboard cichlids, a pair German blue rams and maybe a pair of dwarf pike cichlids in a 53 gallon tank. I am thinking of those pool filter sand in black color. Is that a good idea? Thank you

Cookie_apisto

Cant find any black pool filter sand. I am considering to get two large bag of caribsea tahitian moon sand. Did any of you guys have experience with this? Is a bit pricey too.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The Amazon is covered by fine whitish sand. Most black sands are marine beach sands that will contain shell fragments that will harden the water.

Cookie_apisto

Yaaa I have a concern of that also but it said that it wont buffer the water and wont effect the PH. Not sure if this true.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Such sand probably doesn't affect pH much in a tank with typical tap water that is moderately alkaline and moderately hard. But in a true softwater tank? Well ... .

Cookie_apisto

Just bought some black sand today. Hope is gonna looks good in the tank. So you mean they only affect the ph and hardness when using in a soft water tank?

Ttw

5 Year Member
I use CaribSea Peace River gravel that is also not suppose to affect hardness and pH. My water is very soft 50-70 ppm and acidic 4.5-6.5. This gravel has not affected those parameters.

Cookie_apisto

I use CaribSea Peace River gravel that is also not suppose to affect hardness and pH. My water is very soft 50-70 ppm and acidic 4.5-6.5. This gravel has not affected those parameters.
How come your water is so acidic by the way?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Only those who are interested in breeding rarer blackwater species. If all you want is to maintain and possibly breed A. cacatuoides or similar tolerant species, then your tap water should work.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
It really depends on the species. Species like A. elizabethae or A. sp. Miua will slowly waste away in anything but very soft water. Species like A. bitaeniata will do fine, but become more susceptible to parasites and diseases. You can keep them, just manage the water quality more carefully.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes, A. bitaeniata occurs only in black- or mixed black/clearwater streams. I've never seen them in water with a pH >6.0 in the wild, but do OK in water that is pH<7.0°. At these higher values they tend to be more susceptible to parasites and diseases however. Tank raised fish usually tolerate less optimal conditions, but most captive bred blackwater species are bred in blackwater by hobbyist-breeders. That's why so many breeders use R/O units to soften water. Few blackwater species are bred in large commercial operations.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Not only are they a blackwater species, but IME females are very choosy about breeding partners. May I suggest buying a good book on dwarf cichlids? They will give you good information on breeding requirements.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….