• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

'new' gold ram morph??

aspen

5 Year Member
i was in a big fish store tonight, they had a really cute gold ram morph, it had a lot of cherry red in it's fins, on the crest of it's head and the spike and the gold was really a red enhanced gold, not the plain colour of a gold. i've never liked gold rams much, but these were a very pretty fish. the ones they had were in very good shape. in shape they were a little rounded but very much the shape and size of a good normal aquarium ram, rounded not pointed. i know the fishroom mgr as a long time fish geek, he is pretty sure they are not hormoned and that they come in from singapore, and that he's had them in before. anybody seen these guys before?

rick

aspen

5 Year Member
these fish were definately not wild caught. and yes, i left them in the tank. but they are lookers, don't be too surprised if you see lots of them around.

rick

cdawson

5 Year Member
aspen said:
these fish were definately not wild caught. and yes, i left them in the tank. but they are lookers, don't be too surprised if you see lots of them around.

rick

Did you see them at a big al's?

cdawson

5 Year Member
They could very well be wild then, the owner doesn't usually import alot of frankenfish. I usually see alot of new wild species of cichlids and dwarfs there. They did however, keep the ballon ram when it came out. I wouldn't be suprised if this new one is also a frankenfish. I suppose I should be seeing them soon then.

R

rijac

frankenfish... :lol:

is there any way of telling if fish are wild caught or not?

cdawson

5 Year Member
reputable dealer, big al's is big on SA imports. If you need anything imported from SA you go there. They can get you pretty much anything.

Joost S

5 Year Member
Last days I tried to find out whether these (my) fish come from the wild and I can't get a finger behind it. What I did find was the absolute terrible 'balloons'. And some beautuful pics at http://atlas.drpez.org/ramirez
There you can find the gold and also the croos over between gold and blue.

Joost

Apistt_ed

Joost S said:
Last days I tried to find out whether these (my) fish come from the wild and I can't get a finger behind it.Joost

All Gold Rams are aquarium strains, and if they exist in the wild, it would be a deformity most likely. I am not sure which fish are yours but if its the one under your screen name, then I'd say definitely not wild. Wild rams can be gorgeous also... and that is where the trouble can come from distinguishing wild from domestic Aq. strains, but they will look very much like the common blue ram and this does not include the german blue rams, gold rams, balloons, veils. hope this helps...
john

Apisto Mike

5 Year Member
With rams it is actually easy to tell the wild caught from the domestic. NO matter how big a tank they are in, they dont get bigger then about 1" - 1 1/2". The big al's by me has about 10 wild rams in thier display tank and in the year they have been in there, they have not gotten bigger then the above mentioned size. So far there have been numerous spawns in the tank as well.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
With rams it is actually easy to tell the wild caught from the domestic. NO matter how big a tank they are in, they dont get bigger then about 1" - 1 1/2".

Very strange. I must have be doing something right because I once had wild Rams grow to well over 2½". I know that they were wild because I also picked out some A. sp. Schwarzsaum (= A. viejita CF III) from the shipment. They never got as deep bodied as most domestic forms, but their colors were fantastic once they matured. This was in 1987.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….