• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New from Hansville, Washington

Julie McClure

I am getting back to fishkeeping after many years. I’ve spent the last couple of months researching and watching videos. I’ve decided on a 30 long planted, including some botanicals, for a small colony of apisto with a few tetra. What if anything should I add or subtract from this scenario? Tetra? Would a Dwarf Puffer be compatible? I ordered the Enigma Pack from Tannin for inspiration as I plan a scape. I am looking for a stump shaped piece of wood to pair with smooth river stones. Can I have a fair bit of water movement at the top for the dancing shadow effect? Most importantly, which species and how many?
Thanks in advance for your input.

HengLee

Hi Julie,

I will share some information briefly as I am not an expert in Apistogramma fish.
I guess you need to provide more information about your choices before the members here can give more specific answers. Otherwise, there are too much things to discuss here.

1)What kind of tank that you want to create?
A community tank, a one species only tank, a breeding tank, etc..
I guess a community tank with all male Apisto will be the best for you as male Apisto are more colourful and beautiful than the female.
In my opinion, 3-4 male Apisto will be good.

2)Selection of Apisto species.
Actually to me, this depend on "individual preference, their compatibility, availability at the fish shops near your place and price".

Selecting a beautiful fish is like selecting a piece art. You need eyes for details just like an artist.
Some people like fish with:
A)Bold, bright, solid colours or
B)Different shades of colour from light to darker colours, translucent colours, multiple colours, etc or
C)Finnage : Spiky fins, umbrella like fins, long fins, etc or
D)Tail shapes: Spade shape, rounder shape, elongation shape, etc.
E) Unique/Interesting behaviours.

I like Triple or Double Red Apisto Cacatuoides or Agassizii which have strong red colours.
I also like Apisto Trifasciata or Bitaenita that have blue colour on their body. Blue is a unique colour and the colour will lit up in the dark.
Apisto Borelli has a nice "umbrella" like fins.
Apisto Elizabethae has very nice fins which look like an art to me.

I suggest that you look through the youtube videos or the past forums to select the species that you like.
Then come back here to discuss their compatibility.

3)Next, selecting a group of schooling fish to accompany your Apistos.
A group of schooling fish swimming around your tank will make your tank more "lively and colourful".
I think Tetras are the best fish to accompany your Apisto.
But don't choose Tetras that are aggressive or fins nipping.
Also, I find that some Tetras like Rummy Nose Tetras and Rosy Tetras are too quick and they will finish up the food before the Apisto have a chance to eat the food.(just my opinion).
Choose top or mid level fish so that your tank won't look so empty as Apistos occupy mostly the bottom level of the tank.
Some people like a group Cardinal Tetras due to their striking blue and red colours.
Anyway, again this is up to individual preference.

Recently, I found out that a group of Threadfin Rainbow fish make the tank very interesting.
The Threadfin fish have beautiful fins. They also have beautiful yellow to green like eyes and with light red colour tails.
https://www.seriouslyfish.com/species/iriatherina-werneri/

So, please choose the Tetra species that you wish to have and come back to confirm their compatibility.

4)Filtration:
It's better to have 2-3 lower power filters than a single strong filter as the Apisto don't like strong water movement.
You can have a few sponge filters or hang on filters for easy maintenence.

5) Since maintenance requires a lot of time, I decided not to have sand or gravel. It's difficult to keep the tank clean with sand or gravel (my opinion) though having them can create a better looking tank and a natural habitat for them.
I only have driftwoods, caves and some fake plants for easy maintenance and also because I keep Blue rams that are sensitive to water conditions.
Actually real plants are useful to absorb ammonia.
Anyway, I will this to others who can share their experience in aquascaping.

6)Puffer Fish:
I don't have experience with Puffer fish but from my observation of them, I find them to be quite aggressive and they may nip other fish fins. And they could be too slow to defend themselves against faster fish.

Lastly, these are based on my limited understanding only and may not be necessarily correct.
Hope to hear more from others.

Julie McClure

Hi Julie,

I will share some information briefly as I am not an expert in Apistogramma fish.
I guess you need to provide more information about your choices before the members here can give more specific answers. Otherwise, there are too much things to discuss here.

I guess a community tank with all male Apisto will be the best for you as male Apisto are more colourful and beautiful than the female.

Actually to me, this depend on "individual preference, their compatibility, availability at the fish shops near your place and price".

Selecting a beautiful fish is like selecting a piece art. You need eyes for details just like an artist.
B)Different shades of colour from light to darker colours, translucent colours, multiple colours, etc or

I like Triple or Double Red Apisto Cacatuoides or Agassizii which have strong red colours.
I also like Apisto Trifasciata or Bitaenita that have blue colour on their body. Blue is a unique colour and the colour will lit up in the dark.

I suggest that you look through the youtube videos or the past forums to select the species that you like.

A group of schooling fish swimming around your tank will make your tank more "lively and colourful".
Also, I find that some Tetras like Rummy Nose Tetras and Rosy Tetras are too quick and they will finish up the food before the Apisto have a chance to eat the food.(just my opinion).
Choose top or mid level fish so that your tank won't look so empty as Apistos occupy mostly the bottom level of the tank.
Some people like a group Cardinal Tetras due to their striking blue and red colours.

Recently, I found out that a group of Threadfin Rainbow fish make the tank very interesting.
The Threadfin fish have beautiful fins. They also have beautiful yellow to green like eyes and with light red colour tails.

So, please choose the Tetra species that you wish to have and come back to confirm their compatibility.

4)Filtration:
It's better to have 2-3 lower power filters than a single strong filter as the Apisto don't like strong water movement.

5) Since maintenance requires a lot of time, I decided not to have sand or gravel. It's difficult to keep the tank clean with sand or gravel (my opinion) though having them can create a better looking tank and a natural habitat for them.
I only have driftwoods, caves and some fake plants for easy maintenance and also because I keep Blue rams that are sensitive to water conditions.

6)Puffer Fish:
I don't have experience with Puffer fish but from my observation of them, I find them to be quite aggressive and they may nip other fish fins. And they could be too slow to defend themselves against faster fish.

Lastly, these are based on my limited understanding only and may not be necessarily correct.
Hi Julie,

4)Filtration:

6)Puffer Fish:

Hi Julie,

4)Filtration:

6)Puffer Fish:

Thank you so much. I am thinking if I do get a dwarf puffer(s) I will keep them in a breed tank. I love Apisto for their coloration. Thank you for your observation on Rummynise. My LFS has had some beautiful Greens which could be nice with Cardinals

Julie McClure

Hi Julie,

4)Filtration:

6)Puffer Fish:

Hi Julie,

4)Filtration:

6)Puffer Fish:

Hi Julie,

4)Filtration:

6)Puffer Fish:

Thank you so much. I am thinking if I do get a dwarf puffer(s) I will keep them in a breed tank. I love Apisto for their coloration. Thank you for your observation on Rummynise. My LFS has had some beautiful Greens which could be nice with Cardinals

Julie McClure

Hi Julie,

4)Filtration:

6)Puffer Fish:

Hi Julie,

4)Filtration:

6)Puffer Fish:

Hi Julie,

4)Filtration:

6)Puffer Fish:

Thank you so much. I am thinking if I do get a dwarf puffer(s) I will keep them in a breed tank. I love Apisto for their coloration. Thank you for your observation on Rummynise. My
Also, i am planning a cube shape tank because of the multiple view angles - at least 24Lx24Wx24H

Julie McClure

Hi Julie,

4)Filtration:

6)Puffer Fish:

Hi Julie,

4)Filtration:

6)Puffer Fish:

Hi Julie,

4)Filtration:

6)Puffer Fish:

Thank you so much. I am thinking if I do get a dwarf puffer(s) I will keep them in a breed tank. I love Apisto for their coloration. Thank you for your observation on Rummynise. My
Also, i am planning a cube shape tank because of the multiple view angles - at least 24Lx24Wx18H

HengLee

Hi Julie,
I was thinking that you are going to get a 36(length)x18(width) inches tank which I think will be better if you put in with the wall at the back.
Anyway, 24 x 24 inches is also ok.
The height doesn't really matter for Apisto.

By the way, remember to quarantine your new fish before putting them into your main tank. If the parasites get into your main tank, it will be difficult to remove them especially if you have sand/gravel and plants.

It's better to quarantine the new fish in a bare tank where you can treat them effectively if there are parasites. The plants may absorb the medications and reduce its effectiveness. Whenever you buy new fish, there is always risk of bringing parasites into your tank. And some parasites are hard to kill.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….