• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New cichlid in the congo

jmtrops

5 Year Member
Did anyone see NG Explorer Tuesday? They were doing a study on the Congo river. They found that it is one of the deepest rivers in the world, 750'-800'. The native people in one area had given them 2 dead cichlids that were colorless and blind. To me they looked like Teleogramma. They had surmized that they lived in the deepest part of the river and they died when they decompresed to fast coming up from the bottom. They did say it was a new speicies. It was an interesting show even though the cichlids were only 2-3 minuites of the hour.

Jim

Wingsrule

5 Year Member
The fish is Lamprologus lethops. I have a couple of pictures of them, but will have to get permission to post. They are blind and have no pigmentation at all. Only a few have been collected and never alive.

I believe there is a picture on CRC

Staff online

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pupps

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….