• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Apistogramma Cacatuoides Tank

Basha312

5 Year Member
I have ordered a pair of Apistogramma Cacatuoides from Apisto Dave and am hoping to receive them soon. I am going to put them in a planted 10-gal aquarium, and was wondering if you guys think it would be too crowded in there with 3 Cardinal Tetras? Thanks!

YoungClayB

Nah. Should be fine. Your caca's will stay near the bottom and the cards will fly high. Some folks will say that cards require a bigger tank, but I'll leave that up to you.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I would think of having a minimum of 5 Cardinals. This is a schooling species and feel best when grouped together. I'm guessing that you don't plan to actively breed your A. cacatuoides with Cardinals in there.

Basha312

5 Year Member
I was considering it, if the I notice the eggs are present should I put the Cardinals in my other tank? Sorry for the newbness these will be my first Apistos.
I will for sure keep checking at my LFS for some more Cardinals (I bought the last 3 they had).

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
If you do a search for "cardinal tetra" here you'll find that it isn't recommended for apisto breeding tanks. This species comes from true blackwater biotopes where there are very few small organisms to eat. Because of this, they know how to pick off small fry. Most experienced apisto breeders (including me) usually recommend pencilfish for breeding tanks. A 10 is a bit small for breeding A. cacatuoides, but certainly is possible. Just keep an eye out for excessive aggression by the male before the pair spawn - and the female after the pair spawn. Be ready to remove the fish picked on quickly or you could easily lose it.

Basha312

5 Year Member
Thanks for the advice! (It is much needed). I will be sure to move the Cardinals out of there before any spawning occurs.

Boltons1

Thanks for the advice! (It is much needed). I will be sure to move the Cardinals out of there before any spawning occurs.

I believe Mike was meaning the male and female cacatuoides after spawning rather than the cardinals - in your size tank the male may be kicked away from brood care by an over protective mother and therefore could become very stressed. It won't end well for either of them, in my experience cacs have been amazing parents and raised fry together, peacefully - but that has been in larger tanks.

Basha312

5 Year Member
I will be sure to monitor their behavior closely. I already moved the Cardinals and they seem much happier in my 55 gallon!

Basha312

5 Year Member
Almost two weeks in and they are starting to look really good!
IMG_1419-001.jpg

IMG_1418-001.jpg

kaitlyn19

Hey all, could you check out my post in the breeding section and help me out if you have a sec :) Thanks. Im trying to breed these guys too

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….