• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New Apisto Study

apistobob

5 Year Member
A new scientific study of Apistogramma mate selection has been published by Uwe Romer and Wolfgang Beisenherz in the journal "Ichthyological Exploration of Freshwaters". I have not read the article but have read a couple of summaries.

It seems that they placed a number of females in controlled situations and observed their mate selection. From what I have seen the females consistently chose wild type males over the more colorful domestic strains. Also, the females consistently avoided the males of closely related species. Here is a link to a report on the article

http://www.practicalfishkeeping.co.uk/pfk/pages/item.php?news=785

Here is a link to the journal if you wish to purchase (this is a professional journal and subscription is quite expensive but if you are interested you can pay to get a PDF of the article).

http://www.pfeil-verlag.de/04biol/pdf/ief16_4_05.pdf

This seems like interesting stuff. I hope someone has read the full article and can give us more detail.

Bob

cageman

5 Year Member
a few things: sometimes a mate is rejected only because of small differences in the black pattern.
there is a specie that lives in family groups. mother and daughters or sisters that together have fry and raise it together. (forgot the name)
wil have to ask Joost, he made some notes(very smart)

blueblue

5 Year Member
It is an interesting study, thanks apistobob.

cageman said:
a few things: sometimes a mate is rejected only because of small differences in the black pattern.
there is a specie that lives in family groups. mother and daughters or sisters that together have fry and raise it together. (forgot the name)
wil have to ask Joost, he made some notes(very smart)

Hi cageman:
Are you talking about Lamprologus brichardi?
This fish will live with all the offsprings and family members together,...

cageman

5 Year Member
No he observed this behaviour in an apistogramma species.
he was very quickly with names so I missed it, also forgot to ask afterwords, it is not every day that you meet someone with such wisdom:redface:

blueblue

5 Year Member
cageman said:
No he observed this behaviour in an apistogramma species.
he was very quickly with names so I missed it, also forgot to ask afterwords, it is not every day that you meet someone with such wisdom:redface:

oh... if it is an apisto, then i will be very interested
to know, too ^.^

blueblue

5 Year Member
A question: From the abstract, i do not know whether the female caca
under studies are wild-caught species or tank-bred species (or both)...

As it seems to be natural for wild-caught less colorful female caca to
select a similar appearance wild-caight less colorful male caca as the
mating partners... In my opinion, the conclusion will be strengthened IF both wild-caught and tank-bred colourful caca BOTH prefer less colorful wild-caught type of male caca..

Konigwolf

5 Year Member
Ok I admit slightly off topic (or off apistos) but I used to have a nice little female blue ram that would only mate with golds, none of my blue males, to much color, going for the drabber?

Andrew

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….