• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

New tank setup

Mazan

As I have explained in my introduction, I am planning to keep fish again after a break of many years and I have a new tank 120cm x 40 x 50. I would like to set this up initially as a community but in the fairly near future will also set up a smaller tank for breeding. I would like to have some Apistogramma, don’t really mind which species, and my initial idea was to get a few angels for the mid water area and some shoaling fish like tetras, all South Americans. However I went to a couple of shops the other day, they are going to be getting some Apistos soon, but they had some nice baby severums which I happen to have a soft spot for having kept and bred them long ago, and it made me wonder if I could get a group of them instead of the angels with the idea of eventually keeping a pair and rehoming the rest. Would this be a big mistake? If I did get them which tetras would be best? And would there be any room for any other dwarf cichlids (eg Bolivian rams, Nannacara or Laetacara)? With the Apistos I would get one male and 2 or 3 females if they are sexable, otherwise a group of juveniles. I would have plenty of plants, caves and hiding places. Tap water pH is around 6.8, hardness 3-4. Any ideas or advice about the selection of species would be appreciated, then later I have a few more technical questions...

Mazan

I forgot to mention another cichlid I would maybe consider would be Mesonauta sp. They had 3 of adult size in one shop but they looked very shy, admittedly they were in a very small tank with no hiding places except for the filter and heater which is where they were trying to hide. I would prefer to start with juveniles if I decided to go for these.

Mazan

Yes I know, that’s why eventually I could only keep one pair, it is 120cm x 40cm x 50cm high.

Mazan

That would be 240l, or nearly 64 us gallons without the substrate. Maybe it’s too small even to grow a group of severums to a size at which they would pair up?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Yes it is possible in your size of tank. Severums can start spawning at a small size of 10cm/4". Still realize that breeding cichlids - apistos or severums - can cause problems in a community tank.

Mazan

Thanks for the replies. I think I have read that Mesonauta are best in groups or a pair, but I have never kept them, they would look very nice in a group in a planted tank I think... I do have quite a bit of experience with cichlids( a long time ago). But not at all with Apistogramma. I would set up another smaller tank for breeding them, but would like to have a small community at first. If I do decide to get the severums as well, I was wondering in what order to introduce them and the Apistogramma, or would it be best all at the same time? Any suggestions of other small species I could include?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Behaviorally, Mesonata species are similar to Angelfish/Scalare. One is OK but they prefer to be in loose groups. Since I never kept apistos with larger cichlids, I can't say one way or the other. When putting potential breeding pairs of cichlids in a community situation, I will say that you are asking for extra problems.

Mazan

Mmm thanks, well maybe I’ll have to rethink, anyway I am nowhere near ready to get the fish yet...

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dkalmanson

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….