• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Nematodes and Praziquantel

Sime

5 Year Member
I have a fish with Camallanus(nematode) but can't get levamisole in OZ , have been told at some lfs to use Praziquantel. i wanted to know if anyone knows if it will work or not.

Simon

fishgeek

I may be wrong here , if my memory serve's correctly praziquantel is not a nematodical drug
it is used in combination with pyrantel embonate in drontal wormer which is broad spectrum though i believe the praziquantel is the cestocidal component

fenbendazol is another broadspectrum wormer with good activity against nematodes and maybe sourceable

perhaps if you were to enquire at a mixed or large animal veternary surgery in your local area they would source you levamisol , i believe it is still routinely used in sheep and cattle area's
any small animal vet that was willing to help could purchase some for you aswell
the only problem lies with the drug being regulated , again i believe, as precsription only in australia in which case the attending veterinarian is supposed to have examined the fish , ring and see if they maybe willing to help

i have not used any tablet nor powder forms of wormer and although the active ingriedents are reportedly safe the tableting procedure involves anticacking agents etc etc that may make solubilsatioon and succesful medication difficult in some case's
german aquarists seem to have a preference for flubendazol with good results
i hvae only used levamisol myself

andrew
ex aussie vet

Sime

5 Year Member
Thanks for the info FG. I think your right about the Prazi.
What i have just bought is a bird wormer its active ingredient is levamisole :D 10mb/ml how have you used this stuff? i think i'm gonna soak their food in it, just not sure what dosage to use

fishgeek

10-20mgs/litre as a 24 hr bath(edited from 1-2mgs/l by andrew 14/9/04)
has been suggested to cause anaorexia at higher dose's and in my experience fish with camallanus often dont eat well

oral medication is more ideal in theory though

if you search google under levamisole and camallanus you wil get lots of suggested medication recipe's

good luck andrew

natczer

5 Year Member
re.

Think I have a fish with the same problem. How did you go with treatment? I also live in Oz and wondering about treatment options. Did the bird wormer work and what is it called?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….