• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Uncommon, smaller, elongated (gar-like) surface-dwelling tankmates

apisto2024

Hi!

Looking for some smaller (not more than 4"), cool-looking surface dwelling fishes that resembles a gar/pike. Preferably something elongated and that can happily live in acidic / low hardness water / blackwater.

Was looking into Acestrorhynchus nasutus but it appears they are quite rare. Anyone knows if A. nasutus will eat tetras? Halfbeak look like it would be a good candidate but have to check for smaller blackwater species.

Ben Rhau

Apisto Club
Hemirhamphodon tengah look very interesting, and they are definitely blackwater. I've tried to buy them a couple times, but they are both rare and delicate. One time, the seller couldn't ship because they didn't survive initial quarantine. When I asked a hunter about them, he said the mortality rate from the catch location to his facility was very high, so he was hesitant to ship overseas.

In the States, you can find them listed maybe once or twice a year if you're patient. I was offered them a third time by a larger retailer, and turned it down because I was worried about their sensitivity. They are reportedly easy to keep if they survive the initial transitions. I would buy more than you need.

Also, they need live surface food. So you may want to culture springtails or wingless Drosophila for them.

apisto2024

Uhh ... Acestorhynchus species live on tetras in the wild. This includes the Dwarf Red Tail Barracuda (Acestorhynchus nasutus) - which can grow to 6"/15cm in the aquarium.
I saw one of those gobble up a tetra a 3rd their size. Definitely not good for tetras.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….