• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

need your help, pls

Zagon

5 Year Member
Hy there!

I'm new here at this forums, so let me introduce myself...
Zagon is my name, i'm 29 and live in Austria (Europe).

My english is very... very... öhm... old/poor/bad? :D Sorry therefor.

I've several tanks with south american fishes, like apistogramma, catfishes, scalars, and so on...

Now, i've got some Apistogramma, they were classified as commbrae - but i cannot believe, that they're some of them.

They look like iniridae or something similar.

Take a look at the pics (i've shot them during the feeding)
female:

male:

female left, male right

I hope, you can help me with this topic :)

Thanks & cu,
zagon

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Zagon, welcome to the Apistogramma Forum!

I looked at your photos. You have some very unusual fish. It is not A. commbrae. The male is not A. iniridae. It appears to be a fish related to A. paucisquamis - possibly a young A. mendezi. I am not certain if the female is the same species. I suggest that you grow these fish for 2 or 3 month and send new photos for identification.

Zagon, herzlich willkommen auf der Apistogramma Forum!

Ich sah auf Ihre Fotos an. Sie haben einige sehr ungewöhnliche Fisch. Es ist nicht A. commbrae. Das Männchen ist nicht A. iniridae. Es schein ein Fisch die verwant mit A. paucisquamis ist - möglicherweise ein junger A. mendezi. Ich bin mir nicht sicher, ob die Weibchen ist die gleichen Arten. Ich schlage vor, dass Sie sich diesen Fisch für 2 oder 3 Monate halten und senden neuen Fotos für die Identifizierung.

Zagon

5 Year Member
Hy Mike!

Thank you for your answer!
The a. paucisquamis really seems to be something like my fishes. Only the caudal fin is not realy similar.

The fishes have been imported 2008, august to austria - i've bought them three weeks ago in a more bad than good condition. Now i can feed them with anything, they got real good eaters :)
artemia, cyclops, worms (sorry, i don't know the english word for all the frozen fishfood). granules and so on.

I'll take a look for some courtship (??) maybe you're right, that the fishes aren't the same species.

so, i'll be back with some more better pictures!

good night,
Zagon

ProAquatics

5 Year Member
Welcome,im new aswell.i cant help on ID but i was wondering if you made those pleco tubes or purchased them?they look like they do that job.Looks Good!:biggrin:

Zagon

5 Year Member
Hy!

Thanks for the comments @Lolojil!
I've shot some new pics... the fishes are now in some better condition, every day they get perkier :tongue:

@ProAquatics: the tubes are selfmade - but not by myself. The plecos love them - only the tubes, which are open on both sides are not in use. i think they're to bright.

cu!

Lolojil

5 Year Member
Zagon,

With your new pics, it is definitly A. sp "Miua" and you have a pair :wink:.

Zagon

5 Year Member
Hy Lolojil!

I'm realy happy, that i now know their species-name.
Thank you all for your help :)

cu
zagon

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….