• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need help with newborn cockatoo fry

RHS788

5 Year Member
I have a male and two females in a 10 gallon. I have a female who set up camp in a cave made from two clay saucers with a 1/2 hole drilled. I just raised the top one, and there are about 30 tiny fry inside.

The last time I raised the lid with this young female, there were eggs inside and she ate them.

I am totally not prepared for this!
Question: Do I leave them be? I have no microworms and no culture of BBS started (actually have done neither to date).

Do I remove the other female and male or leave them? Should I take out the female with the fry and place in another aq with the same water?

Will the fry make it without my adding some food?

I guess if nothing else, I will start a culture of BBS this evening.

I appreciate any advice. First newborns and I would hate to lose them.

Thanks,

Randy

RHS788

5 Year Member
Update

I just looked under the other cave and the other female also has "wigglers" inside. I am at a loss.:eek:

I will make my first attempt at BBS this evening, but I haven't a clue on what to do otherwise. I feel I need to get the females in other tanks with the idea of raising young.

What if I move one female with her fry to another tank, and leave the other in that 10 gallon? Should I move the male out?

Thanks everybody for the input.

Rey82

5 Year Member
I would take the male out because he will usually get beat up by the two females if they have fry. I would also put a divider if you can to seperate both females so they can tend to their fry. Do not bother the fry because this might stress the female to eat her fry. I have had that problem before so now the only time I do that is when I know they have fry in their cave and I move it to a seperate tank. I have over 20 fry at the moment that are getting big fast compared to apistos that I have bought from someone else or were traded.

Rey82

5 Year Member
I buy Hikari Tropical First Bites and feed the fry a few times a day. Once they get a bit bigger I start feeding them cyclops or daphnia. I used to culture microworms but I have seen the same growth with the foods I see now. I am still working on increasing the survival rate. I usually loose half of the fry group within the first two weeks. Right now I just see it as keeping the healthiest ones. I feed the majority of my fish bloodworms once a week but mostly brine shrimp, daphnia, and cyclops. I would like to train my fish to start eating flake food because it is much cheaper but my fish are really picky.

RHS788

5 Year Member
Thanks, I have heard that many fry respond to the instinct of a moving target, thus BBS or mircroworms are good. I also understand the worms are good because they seem to last longer than BBS.

I appreciate your idea of the first bites food, because I don't know when I will have the other available to me, and I simply want to raise some fry. Thanks for your input, and after a couple weeks I will post how it went on this thread.

Randy

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….