• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need Help to Identify!

Rey82

5 Year Member
A few weeks ago I bought some a. ortamanni and a. borelli "opal". Finding out that one of the fish was neither. Last weekend I went back and found another one just like it. I was told that the shipper might have accidentally put a few fish that were not on their order. Please help me out to identify this fish. If you need better images please ask. These fish were found swimming in the same tank as the a. ortamanni. Also please verify if the are a. ortamanni. I know that many fish stores mislabel them.

UnknownApisto2.jpg

a. ortamanni male

MaleA.jpg

a. ortamanni female

FemaleA.jpg

The a. ortamanni female has laid eggs but ended up eating them two days later. She looks like she wants to lay more soon.

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
The first fish pictured looks like a Nannacara, probable N. anomala. As to the Apisto. I.D. I'll leave that up to the experts:biggrin:

Jeff

Rey82

5 Year Member
The apistos are A. steindachneri. In the past, as now sometimes, they were listed as A. ortmanni.

Which ones are the a. steindachneri? The picture on top is the apisto that I cannot identify. I know that the top pic does not match the other two. Are the a. ortamanni really what they are?

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
The top picture is the Nannacara. With a better picture the species could possibly be identified, but it's most likely N. anomala. It's not uncommon for Nannacara spp. to be incluided as by-catch in shipments of wild dwarf cichlids.

Mike is saying you have A. steindachneri. The fish is often imported under the name A. ortmanni, but more often then not the fish is really A. steindachneri, as is the case here.

The quick and easy difference between the two is the caudal.

male A. steindachneri-lyretail

male A. ortmanni-rounded tail

Your second and third photos show a pair of A. steindachneri.

Jeff

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
A good picture of the anal fin would help...but Mike Wise is the much better person to give you a solid I.D. for South American dwarfs.

The fish looks to be a female or at best a young or subdominate male, which makes it a little harder for me to I.D. The possibilities that I know of would be N. anomala, quadrispinae, and sp. "Yiyi" (which may be a form of anomala). Based on most commonly avaliable I would lean toward your fish being N. anomala.

Jeff

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….