• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Need help quick!!!

ginnie5

5 Year Member
My female has eggs again. I think they were laid Sunday/Monday. This am she started eating them again. I watched her devour about half of them that were nice and red. Everytime they get to this point she eats them. So I moved the tube away from her. I have a 10g set up and ready but I'm wondering if it would be better to just move her to the other side of this tank. I have a divider in the tank and she and the eggs are the only things in this half. Will they make it without her? I know they won't with her...she'll just finish them off. Is it possible that I just have a chronic egg eater?
Thanks for any help. I really would like to save these eggs!

vancat

5 Year Member
to the experts:
would this have anything to do with whether they are fertilized or not?
ginnie5, do you know if they are?

ginnie5

5 Year Member
I believe they are since they are red and not white....

it was my understanding that if they were not fertilized they would be white.

Bissot_J

5 Year Member
Hi ,

Never try remove egg from apisto.
but what i can say, it will be more easier and safe to remove the female and not the eggs.

the eggs will also need at my opinion a little bit of aeration.

by the way , if you are sure she will eat them , you have nothing to loose by trying :)

Neil

ginnie5,
It is likely that they were fertilized, if they are red (and have stayed that way). You may well have a "chronic egg eater". It usually is something that promotes the egg-eating, but sometimes it is next to impossible to figure out what! So, if you have made the decision to artificially raise these eggs, there are a few things that will help.
1. Remove the tube with the eggs to a smaller tank/container with water from the original breeding tank.
2. As Bissot_J suggests, get some kind of air to move the water near the eggs or they will fungus. This simulates the "fanning" that the parents usually do. I use an airstone or plain airline tubing (set low) near the eggs, so water is circulating around them.
3. Fungusmay not be detered by water movement alone. Ariflavin or Meth. Blue is a helpful additive. A couple drops in the container should provide a very helpful defense against fungus.
4. Once the eggs hatch, do a water change (50%) with water from the original tank to decrease the additive. And then another just as they are about to become free-swimming.
5. Get food to them soon after they are swimming. They will not have the guidance of the parents, so it is important to give them food that they can find easily and regularly. Make sure that you don't foul the tank by not feeding too much and cleaning the container fairly regularly. At this point you can use regular water for the changes as long as it does not differ from the tank water that they came from too much.
Good luck,
Neil

P.W.

5 Year Member
Hello Ginnie

Sometimes the apisto couples need to spawn a couple of times until they succed to bring up some kids. Some of my apistos have been spawning 5-6 times until they did it right! :)

Best regards

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MyzhCrord

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….