• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Nanochromis sp. "Leza" spawn

K

kevinkorotev

Tonight I have a couple dozen free swimming fry from the Nanochromis sp. "Leza". I am assuming that ID is correct as it has been made by better minds than mine.
These are the fish acquired from Zack Wilson.

The spawn was classic Nanochromis, ending with little sesame seed looking eggs hanging (inside) off the the top of a 1" diameter clay tube about 4 inches in (deep). Mom guarded the eggs. Dad guarded the site.
The spawn was found on the 24th of October, the hatch took place on the 27th, the fry were first seen outside the tube on Sunday the 3rd of November. Mom and Dad continue the same roles.

Very soft water is kept at about 76 degrees (+-2). Tank mates include some S. American dwarves and (until tonight) a second pair of the same Nanochromis species. The tank is 36" x 12" x 12" = 30 gallon.

Kevin Korotev-Milwaukee

Neil

Well Kevin, that is very, very cool! These are some very nice fish and to have such a quick spawn is especially rewarding. I now have mine together and the female is on eggs. I have been keeping mine at 80 degrees for several months now with no ill effects. Like you, I have them in very soft, 6pH water and maintain pretty regular water changes. I wonder what we will find as far as sex ratio goes in the fry regarding temp. Do you intend to keep them at around 76 for a while? If mine are successful, I will be keeping them at 80. Many of the Nanochromis species come from water that 78 and up, but the L & S book suggests about 76, so that will be interesting to see.
I am not seeing alot of interest from my male at this stage either, but the female has not come out of the cave for 4 days, so there isn't much for him to be interested in. I have this pair in a well-structured 10g with no dithers. I will be very attentive when(and if) she come out with fry, because there won't be much for the male to doas far as defense goes.
Keep us abreast of the happening with these fish and I will as well. Hopefully we can keep them around for awhile.
Neil

K

kevinkorotev

Neil,
I will keep my temp as is, if you will do the same. It will be a very interesting test...and one I TRIED with Nanochromis transvestitus.
The short time I kept them, I had 3 spawns. The first was mostly male, the second mostly female, the third; mostly culls. As I remember, the first was the warmest. Did I learn anything? Yes...that further study is needed.

Neil

Kevin,
I have spawned 3 different pairs of transvetitus. Funny thing is that I have altered the pH significantly, but never gone below 79 or 80. I usually have more females than males, but a reasonable gender ratio - about 30% males. I can always live with that. It's the 30% females that isn't looking quite as good. My first spawn was, believe it or not 3.8pH, less than 1 dGH and a temp of 82 degrees. That was my best ratio - fairly even. It was a wild pair that lived in very soft, acidic water in the wild and quite awhile in the tank before spawning. An added note of interest; I was housing the 4 month old fry in a small tank and did pay careful enough attention to water changes once. One day I was feeding them and they were hanging around more than usual, instead of chasing each other constantly. They went after the food fairly vigorously though. I looked at them closely and saw that the soft portions of their dorsal and caudal fins were beginning to melt. 8O I tested the water and it was in the low 2s pH. :oops: Quickly did a large water change, which probably wasn't smart - but I was fairly knew to all this, and they were fine after that. They just looked funny with a bunch of partial spikes on their fins. Bred a pair from them and those fry were fine. It was amazing that they were only beginning to show behavior abnormalities during this pH crash.
These are some very interesting animals. 8) There has just not been enough done with Nanochromis for us to know enough about their husbandry and breeding to be really good with them. It's a learning process for sure.
Neil

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….