• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Nanochromis Parilus

Jeffery Doty

5 Year Member
Hello All,

After a few months break from dwarf's, I am starting again. Today I picked up a pair of N. Parilus, and would love to get advice on how to best keep them. Currently they are in a 20 long (12 x 12 x30), by themselves, with sand, java moss and a flower pot. Temp is 78, and water is soft and about 6.5. Am I on the right track?

Thank you.

Jeff
Oregon

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Sounds good Jeff. I have always used dithers with this species. I like rasboras or platies personally. Most African tetras that are readily available are expensive, large and sometimes aggressive.

Neil

Hey Jeff!
Sounds good to me and I have also found it to be very helpful to use dithers to cut down on aggression between the pair. They can be mean little buggers. Accordingly, it would be helpful to give them some more structure in the tank, including other caves. I have found that they like lower caves that they can dig out a little before spawning. This seems to increase the courtship process and pair bond. Good luck with them. They aren't an easy fish.
Neil

Jeffery Doty

5 Year Member
Ted, Neil,

Thanks for the help. Yes, I am finding out that the male is a wife beater! She looks ready to spawn, he looks ready to kill. How about adding another pair of something else, like a common krib? Neil, what did you use for dithers?

Thanks.

Jeff
Oregon

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
:? I had a Pel. taeniatus 'nyete' male that was a wife beater. I isolaated him in a net up in the upper corner fo the tank for a couple weeks. It took two incarceration periods, but after the second week the female was in condition and in the mood, and they have been good ever since.

Jeffery Doty

5 Year Member
Thanks for the help everyone. I have fry!!

I added a mess of rocks and a handfull of peat moss to the tank, as well as a pair of rams a couple weeks ago. Must have done the trick, because tonight I saw freeswimming fry. They are really cool, head down, sifting in the substrate, just like Mom and Dad. Even at this tiny size.

The rams have managed to stay out of harms way, due to the large amount of rock and java moss. But, they parents are not nice to say the least.

Anyway, feeling pretty good about this one.

Jeff
Oregon

Neil

Jeffery Doty,
Congratulations!

Anyway, feeling pretty good about this one.

You should. That is a good spawn. If I would have responded to your last question, I would have told you that I use another cichlid as a target and no dithers. How did the rams fair in the process?
Neil

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….