• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Nano reef

Orchid

5 Year Member
Jeb,

Once again, the forum keeps kicking me out, so my replies will be short but many.

Once you get the microcritter population established, especially if they are "everywhere and in triplicate", then it maintains itself. They seem to thrive in the presence of caulerpa. They eat algae and other things off the lr. My sump pump filter sponge is like a feeding trough for copepods, they are all over that puppy!

Orchid

5 Year Member
Besides impatience, I don't see why more aquarists don't establish the population first. These little critters are the easiest things to establish if you seed them and allow them the time they need to develop a good size population. If you build up a population, then your one dragonette won't even put a dent in it. Dragonettes are very slow feeders. When you see them hop around the rocks, stop and look around, hop on again, maybe stop and peck the rock or look around, that is them eating. Totally different from the feeding frenzy at the top of the tank when you add fish food! :) There are other safe fish you can put in the tank with them that won't compete for the microcritters, just not wrasses!

I prefer Maxijet powerheads, whatever powerhead you use, make sure you put on a prefilter sponge. Dragonettes can hop on the intake and get sucked to it. I use AquaClear Mini powerfilter sponges. I just cut an X into the narrow, long end and slip it over the intake. I also use Skilter power filters, these totally suck as a protein skimmer. You could get by with just a protein skimmer if your tank is 20 gal or smaller.

jeb

5 Year Member
Thanks Orchid,I will be slowly accumulating the things I need.This time of year money gets a bit tight.Still doing Alot of reading.I'll yell when things get started here.If you ever get pics of your dragonets or tank post'em.Thanks Again :!:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….