• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Nafbg

Sir Sauce

5 Year Member
I have heard conflicting stories about the demise of the North American Fish Breeders Guild. I loved those days of swapping fish with like minded people. I never minded paying big bucks for fish, but to get such great stock at the price of a trade was fantastic. What happened while I got a life? Is it defunct? long hiatus? burned to the ground with no hope of rising fom the ashes?

Mike C.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
The NAFBG is defunct and there is little hope of it returning. There were apparently some issues involving ethics and money, though I do not know the specifics and would not want to guess. As far as interest in reestablishing the club goes, I am sure that there would be a ton of people willing to get fish from other people for free. How would you organize it to keep out the losers who would abuse it though (which is a part of why the original NAFBG fell apart). It only takes a few bad apples to spoil the barrel.

Sir Sauce

5 Year Member
Thanks for the reply. Sad to hear about the doubt of it or something like it returning. I did get screwed a couple of times and heard far worse horror stories. But, I used to always just view it as karmic. I would never send huge amounts of fish to anyone that I didn't know(of). And, in the scheme of things, losing out on under twenty shipping and a few pairs of fish that I usually couldn't give away locally, to not have to deal with a crook again is a bargain.
The culling of the bad apples? Difficult, agreed. But I still want to believe that there are good honest people who aren't trying to get rich off every spawn. I know I gave away far more fish than I ever sold. And I have had some great people give me fish by the tankfulls.
Maybe, someday ,a mutant offspring will arise. I can still hope!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….