• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

N. sp "green speckle" and C. compressiceps

raymond82

Hi,

Yesterday I visited a fish shop and they had two cichlids that I was really impressed with: Crenicichla compressiceps and Nanochromis sp. "green speckle".

Unfortunately I don't have space to house either of them but I still wanted to ask if anyone can tell me something about keeping and breeding these species, because as soon as I will have space they will be on the top of my list!

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I'm not familiar with N. sp. Green-speckle, but C. compressiceps is considered one of the more difficult dwarf pikes to keep long term. They tend to be highly aggressive toward each other, so a very large tank is needed.

raymond82

I'm not familiar with N. sp. Green-speckle

Now I'm also not sure anymore whether it was named correctly in the shop, I hardly find any references to this species online. I do find Congochromis sp. "Green Speckle" and Congochromis sabinae which apparently is sometimes confused with this species.

but C. compressiceps is considered one of the more difficult dwarf pikes to keep long term. They tend to be highly aggressive toward each other, so a very large tank is needed.
In that case I don't have to doubt about it anymore, since I don't have a big tank. I'll keep them in mind for the future.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
sp. Green Speckle is a Congocromis.... it should be similar to C. dimidiatus as far as keeping it goes.

raymond82

Thanks Ted, spent some time thinking about ways to house them but I'm afraid I really can't... It's a shame cause from what I read about keeping these it shouldn't be much harder than keeping apisto's and they are an amazing fish and they do seem to be quite special...

Melanochromis

sp. Green Speckle is a Congocromis.... it should be similar to C. dimidiatus as far as keeping it goes.

If it's similar to dimidiatus, then housing shouldn't be too difficult. The main focus is probably how to make the fish confident enough not to hide all the time. From my experience, just put a lot of hiding places, and put a good number of fish, the more the better because they will hide less. Dither fish are also good. Also, leave an open area for feeding and for you to view the fish.

http://www.apistogramma.com/forum/i...unny-little-fish-dimidiatus.13125/#post-70947

raymond82

Hi Melanochromis, thanks for the link, I remember seeing these pictures now and then I also really liked the fish. The sp. Green Speckle are similarly beautiful. It's not that I worried about keeping them, I just don't have the space... After seeing them in the shop and inquiring about them here I was thinking about how to shuffle fish around to accommodate them but I can't come up with a good way. But after seeing your pictures I'm going to think about it again...

Ruki

5 Year Member
I was asking Anton Lamboj about N. sp. "Green Speckle" and now they are form of C. sabinae, not C. dimidiatus. Now I have two females of similiar(or the same) form of C. sabinae, males will come in next week. Now they are glued to front of tank waiting for something to eat for all days. :)

raymond82

Thanks Lukasz! Indeed one of the few places I found reference to the fish was in the C. sabinae page on seriouslyfish. Good to know what the species is, if I'm back in the shop I'll tell them it's not Nanochromis but Congochromis instead. Still thinking about buying them, I think I might have figured out a way to house them... ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….