• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My new hatchery is operational...

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
We moved into our new home in Stoughton, WI, on September 12. I have been busily building my basement hatchery ever since. Here are some pictures and descriptions of a few features I have installed.

This is a basic planning map. The room is a bit of a PITA because there are no blank walls and there are beams and ductwork in the ceiling. Some of the features in the plan have already changed location or been adjusted.

drawingA.jpg

The room is designed for my interests... which are basically everything. I will have a rack of smaller tanks for my dwarf cichlids. Here is a picture of it with the few tanks I have filled and running. I will have the rest of the tanks for it on Thursday. It will have four 33L, six 20H and four 15 gallon tanks.

painted.jpg

I will also have a rack of ten gallon tanks for fry, and at least two racks of six 40Br. tanks for larger fish and growing out larger numbers of juviniles. I have the space for four 75 gallon tanks. The drawing shows a rack of 125 gallon tanks, but that has been scratched in favor of more 40 breeders.

The tanks are filtered with sponge filters and air. I anticipate a maximum of 60-70 air stones in the room, so I purchased an 80 Watt linear piston air pump for Jehmco. LOVE IT!!!! It is so quiet you could sleep next to it. Pleenty of air and energy efficient too. I would rather spend the money for three of these than one big blower any day... but my room only needs one.

pumphookup.jpg

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Water changes will be easy too. I have a drain in the floor I can siphon waste water directly to from the tanks. Refill will be from a 150 gallon vat. I have hooked my RO/DI unit up to auto fill the vat or a reservoir over the vat with the flip of a switch. I can also leave the switches open and the RO/DI unit will fill them both. The vat allows me to mix, age and warm water in any way I want. Water is pumped from the vat into the tanks from a pump hard plumped to the exterior.

vatandRO.jpg

hardplumb.jpg

filling.jpg

I even planned for labor...

labor.jpg

Before constructing racks I insulated the walls, but left them unfinished. The idea of using a vapor barrier was discussed in great detail. I was convinced by some veteran home builders not to do it. They were concerned that no vapor barrier is perfect and I would end up with moisture behind the insulation anyway. By allowing air to circulate I will keep the chance of mold to a minimum. I will also add a strong dehumidifier to the room and have tight canopies on the tanks. I also left space to install an air exchanger if necessary.

I get more tanks this week. Some fish will start arriving this week too.

farm41

5 Year Member
Ted,

Looks great, lots of tanks. What are you using for a refill pump?

I have my fishroom plumbed for drains and central air, but I have not plumbed the refill water yet.

Apistt_ed

Wow Ted, looks like you're getting all settled here in WI!! Great looking setup you have there too! Its great to have another devoted apisto-head in the cheese state! we don't have that much access to apistos but if you know where to look and when to look, along with a few friends on the "inside", you tend to find a few gems. I would love to get the chance to see your room when it's fully up and running with fish! Mine is nowhere near yours but your room gives me motivation to maybe start on my project soon! John (Southeastern Wisconsin-ite)

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Hi Matt... I am using a Lifegard Quiet One 3000 by Pentair Aquatics. I bought it through Jehm Co., and basically listened to John's advice based upon my usage requirements. The farthest distance I will pump to in the room is 23 feet away and a height of six feet. I will also pump up to 9 feet to fill my 110 up on the next floor (not a full floor.. house is split level). I am using a 5/8" ID hose. Plenty of pumping power so far.

John... I get fish tomorrow. No apistos, but I am getting two pairs of Cren. regani "Tapajos". Are you a member of the fish club in Milwaukee?

Apistt_ed

actually I go to their meetings every now and again, but haven't really gotten the chance to get into the club itself. Instead, I am a member of the Greater Chicago Cichlid Ass. The guys in MAS (milwaukee Aquarium society) are a great group of guys and the place they have it at is great too!!!- Hoffers aquatics has beautiful displays and quality fish,... bit pricey but great!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….