• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My new 40g Long Tank - P. Taeniatus

Joe Gatchell

Well, I got my new tank setup last night, only took about 6 hours of non stop work combining 29g tanks and plants etc. Anyhow, here's the final result.

taeniatus40gallon4.jpg

Here are a few shots of the happy and harassed inhabitants. You can probably tell who the dominant male is of the two pairs in the tank.

taeniatus40gallon3.jpg

taeniatus40gallon2.jpg

taeniatus40gallon1.jpg

Joe Gatchell

Very nice! Forgive me for asking a newbie question, but what locale are your P. taeniatus?

No problem, they are P. taeniatus "lokundje"

My males have some pretty nice looking reddish magenta coloring on their fins when they are challenging each other, it really doesn't show in the photos I posted.

Shernutz

Tank setup

I look upon your beautiful new tank with envy!

I am a new hobbyist; and am just embarking on a P. taeniatus small 20L setup myself. Fish not here yet. Will not buy until new tank fully cycled.

Is sand "crucial?" I have had only set up with medium gravel. If I have to change bottom media, I will, but -- gosh-- I cringe at the prospect of having to do so.

I have looked through many youtube videos of P. taeniatus/pulcher and note that about 75-80% have sand bottom; but there are some that have gravel bottom media with apparent successful breeding.

I presume you are using real driftwood? Not that plastic stuff that beginners like me use. Haha...

Your tank looks very pretty as well. I am going to get some plants as in your pic. Your nice photos are very helpful. Thanks!

Laters, Lisa

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
Hi Lisa. Welcome to the forum.

Sand is not crucial, and the fish will not mind medium gravel. They do like to dig out spawning caves, so if the gravel is too large for them to easily excavate you will not be able to see that behavior. I think that most of us end up using sand in our tanks after being in the hobby for a while because it is A) more natural and B) less expensive than aquarium gravel.

Joe Gatchell

Well, I removed my second pair from the setup today. My dominant male chased the other male whenever the lights were on, pretty much non stop for the last 36 hours. I'm hoping to sell one pair of my three pairs today to someone local. Going to have to figure something out for the other pair.

Ted, do you think some upside catfish would do ok in my setup?

It's got 6 congo tetras, 3 african butterflyfish, taeniatus pair and two otos.

40g Long

Shernutz

Hi Lisa. Welcome to the forum.

Sand is not crucial, and the fish will not mind medium gravel. They do like to dig out spawning caves, so if the gravel is too large for them to easily excavate you will not be able to see that behavior. I think that most of us end up using sand in our tanks after being in the hobby for a while because it is A) more natural and B) less expensive than aquarium gravel.

Thanks Ted. What a relief!

As for otocinclus in tank - my experience has been that it eats all the soft leafy plants. So even though otos have great "cleaning" ability, the plants are eaten up except for the hardy plants like in Treefork's tank.

Someone suggested a pleco to keep tank clean. But I don't know.

Ted - what would you suggest for a good community algae-eating fish (for P. taeniatus) that will not eat the plants?

Lisa

Joe Gatchell

Well, I had some bristlenose plecos in the tank before I moved the taeniatus into the new tank, and they nibbled on my swords a lot. Guess I didn't have enough algae or wafers.

Also I just sold 1 pair of my taeniatus about 20 minutes ago. 1 pair to go.

Shernutz

Well, I had some bristlenose plecos in the tank before I moved the taeniatus into the new tank, and they nibbled on my swords a lot. Guess I didn't have enough algae or wafers.

Also I just sold 1 pair of my taeniatus about 20 minutes ago. 1 pair to go.

I read up on the bristlenose pleco. I think you just helped find me my future tank-cleaner!!! Thanks!

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
UD catfish are fry predators. They are neat to look at, but are not good choices for a breeding tank.

Oto cats are usually good algae eaters for plated tanks. BN plecos are good cleaners off of hard surfaces.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….