• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

My Apisto Tanks

Norman Fenske

In order as you see them Triple Reds, 2nd pr Triple Reds F stays in the pot hopefully guarding eggs, trifasciata cannot see them they are small stay hiding mostly, veijita's, Golden Cacatuoides, Orange Flash w/ fry, 55 community cannot see them but have a pr of Orange Flash in the tank

Attachments

• IMG_0055.JPG
    IMG_0055.JPG
    3.3 MB · Views: 561
  • IMG_0060.JPG
    IMG_0060.JPG
    3.1 MB · Views: 541
  • IMG_0065.JPG
    IMG_0065.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 543
  • IMG_0066.JPG
    IMG_0066.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 557
  • IMG_0068.JPG
    IMG_0068.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 570
  • IMG_0069.JPG
    IMG_0069.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 552
  • IMG_0061.JPG
    IMG_0061.JPG
    3 MB · Views: 565

yukondog

5 Year Member
Three pairs but only one breeding [Borellii], I also have two pairs of Hongsloi but have not introduced them yet and two agassizii females and one cockatoids female, one male Bitaeniata I need to get mates for.

Norman Fenske

The LFS where I bought the pr from sold them as veijita which is what I thought but was never quite convinced they were right. After looking at both in some ways they look the same what is the difference if you do not mind??

Tom C

5 Year Member
There are loads of info about this on this forum. What you would have found, is that Mike Wise has posted this (quick & dirty) way to separate the 2 species:

1. "If it doesn't have a broad red band along the top of the dorsal fin (males), then it is not A. viejita
(some strains of A. macmasteri have a red/orange band, but not as wide or bright)"

Here is one of my A. viejita showing the red band along the top of the dorsal fin:

resizeimage.aspx

Your fish might have a red/orange band, but not like the band in the A. viejita

2. "If it has a squared-off caudal (with or without extensions), then it is not A. viejita."

Here is one of my A. viejita showing its rounded caudal fin:

resizeimage.aspx

3. "If it has a chunky/husky/robust body, then it is not A. viejita."

Here is one of my A. viejita showing how slender it is:

resizeimage.aspx

and a true A. vijita will never show a red pattern on top of the head / shoulder, as your fish does.

There are other differences too, but these are often the easiest to observe.
Agree?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Norman, your LFS sold the fish under the name they bought them as, so they weren't trying to fool you. The domestic red form of A. macmasteri has been sold as A. viejita for decades! One of my mantras: Know Your Fish! (I have the Tshirt).

upload_2018-8-30_8-36-24.png

Bob is my favorite.:)

Norman Fenske

I agree not upset nothing where I live this is about the best LFS in my area. Its just a fact nobody knows everything there is always somebody doing something a little different. As many varieties of fish there are and even if your staying with one type Agassizi as an example. You could have the same type but it could be from a different area or body of water and there will be differences!! I learned that with Lake Tanganyika's Tropheus as an example.
By the way Bob is the best!!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….