• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Viejita or Macmasteri?

SoulStealer

Hello all!,
Recently bought a pair of apistogrammas which were sold as Viejitas .....
Can anybody help me Identify it?

TIA..
sicj.jpg

7kw9.jpg

cxuy.jpg

37sq.jpg

Last edited:

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I see 2 male A. macmasteri.
So do I, and it really p*s me off. Our local LFS (part of a large chain, initials MA) often have pairs of A. "viejita" for sale, always A. macmasteri and usually all males. I think if I paid £20 for a pair of Apistogramma to find that they weren't a pair, or the species they were sold as, it would tend to put me off buying any more.

cheers Darrel

johnf44

That aint good.. Where are you based?? Im in Scotland and found the MA in the East the better of the 2.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I'm sure that your shop sold these fish under the same name that they were sold to them. No one can be an expert in every fish, so I guess it can be excused somewhat. This is where my other axium comes into play - "Know your fish".

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I'm sure that your shop sold these fish under the same name that they were sold to them.
This is another point, and it is true they sell the fish under the name they bought them, even though they must know it isn't the right name. As well as A. "viejita" and Corydoras "julii", the fish labelled "Corydoras hastatus" is always C. pygmaeus, but my question is why can they get away with it?
That aint good.. Where are you based?? Im in Scotland and found the MA in the East the better of the 2.
Wiltshire. I think MA is a bit strange because although they are a chain, the manager has a lot more discretion about what they stock.

To be fair the new manager at our local branch has got a much larger range of "interesting fish" in, including some Apistogramma species where they are selling both males and females, but the down-side is that they are now very "interestingly" priced.

It really isn't that easy to sex some Apistogramma species that are quite clearly sexually dimorphic. I had a look at some sub-adult A. panduro, and they were almost entirely colourless, neither yellow nor blue, and even the black marks were indistinct.

cheers Darrel

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….