• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

More Books

georgedv

5 Year Member
I lost the other thread about suggested books. I got the three books that Mike recommended on S. American Dwarfs. Mike, these are truly unique. I spent this whole week going thru them. I still have alot more to do.

My next question to everybody is, what is/are the best book(s) out there on West African dwarfs? At this point being new to this group of fish, I will also ask what other books do you all suggest regarding dwarf cichlides regardless of where they are from.

I am not a novice to the hobby, but I am to cichlides. I am looking forward to any suggestion on this as my interest on this hobby gets control of my mind and wallet and start buying dwarfs cichs without any knowledge!!!

thanks

g

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
georgedv,

By far and away the best West African cichlid book out is The Cichlid Fishes of Western Africa by Anton Lamboj published by Birget, Schmettkamp, and Verlag 2004. It is THE bible of West African Cichlids and a must have.

That said, another book I highly recommend is African Cichlids 1 Cichlids From West Africa by Linke and Staeck, Tetra Press 1994. I would guess that it is out of print, but if you can find a copy it's worth having. It doesn't cover anywhere near the number of fish that Lamboj does, but the photos will make you drool! The names have also changes a little (ie. some Chromidotilapia are now Benitochromis, etc.) and many of the undiscribed fish in the book are now named, but over all it's still a worth while text.

Jeff

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Since you said "regardless of where they are from", you can get updated editions of the 2 Linke & Staeck books, Amerikanische Cichliden I: Kleine Buntbarsche, which was published earlier this year & Afrikanische Cichliden I: Buntbarsche aus Westafrika, which was published a couple of years ago. Staeck also has a nice little book, Cichliden-Lexikon Teil 3: Südamerikanische Zwergbuntbarsche. It has some interesting photos, like a male A. sp. Maulbrüter/Mouthbrooder with a mouth full of eggs and some of the rarer non-apisto dwarf cichlids. If you are interested in SA dwarf cichlids other than apistos, I believe that the sister books to Koslowski's are the best out there. Die Buntbarsche Amerikas Band 1 discusses the Cichlasomatine and Heroine genera that include Laetacara, Nannacara, & Cleithracara. Die Buntbarsche Amerikas Band 3: Erdfresser, Hecht und Kammbuntbarsche discuss all the pike cichlids, eartheaters (other than Apistogramma, Apistogrammoides, Taeniacara & Mikrogeophagus), and predatory cichlids (like Oscars & Peacock Bass). This volume includes the small & dwarf genera Biotoecus, Biotodoma, Crenicara, dwarf (and all other) Crenicichla, Dicrossus, Guianacara, Gymnogeophagus, Mazarunia, Red Patwa, and Teleocichla. For those particularly interested in dwarf pikes (or pikes in general) and teleos, this book is the closest thing we have to a complete reference. All of these are published only in German, of course. Another book I really like for its exquiste photography is Yamazaki, et al.'s book South American Dwarf Cichlid, which is published in Japanese. As I have said in the past, I like Römer's Cichlid Atlas 1. It is a bit dated, when it comes to species, and has to ID errors (there are few books that don't!), but it is a very good introduction to SA dwarfs.

Rolo

5 Year Member
It has some interesting photos, like a male A. sp. Maulbrüter/Mouthbrooder with a mouth full of eggs

Hi Mike,

I don't believe, that the male would get close enough to the eggs to take them into his mouth. ;-)

But I have photos myself of a male Mouthbrooder with larvae in his mouth. *g*

scnr,
Rolo

Rolo

5 Year Member
But I have photos myself of a male Mouthbrooder with larvae in his mouth. *g*

...here are some of the pictures:

maulb_m4.jpg

maulb_m5.jpg

and the female:

maulb_w8.jpg

The Datz books ("Die Buntbarsche Amerikas") are available much cheaper at the moment, if you buy all together (three books). The single price is 24,90 EUR, all three together 50,- EUR.
Look at the Datz site

And I should tell you, that the Staeck book "Cichliden-Lexikon 3" is really a lexicon/encyclopedia. That means, the informations about the fishes are not very detailed. Therefore there are many other "words/terms" explained, which are just "used" in other books.
This book is different, but it's not bad. ...and it's in german.

regards,
Rolo

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
As Rolo says, the best place to get the Die Buntbarsche Amerikas series of books is from the publisher (Verlag Eugen Ulmer). You could send an email to the other publishers - Tetra Verlag (Linke & Staeck books) and Dähne Verlag (Cichliden Lexikon) - and order directly from them (each will communicate in English), but it would be easier to go to www.amazon.de and buy them all at once. In "Suche" enter "Bücher". Then enter "Cichliden" and click "Los". This will bring up all of the German cichlid books available. One word of warning; make sure the book is the latest edition since amazon.de sells used & new older edtions, too.

Now for some shameless promotion. Anyone who has the Koslowsk book (Band 2 of the Die Buntbarsche Amerikas series) can get the English translation from me. I also have translated the dwarf pike part of Band 3 in the Die Buntbarsche Amerikas series. You will have to prove to me that you own the books before I will sell the translations, however.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mugsey2

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….