• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Mixing Species

Jamie @ SVAS

5 Year Member
Hi

I am new to the board and have a simple question, I have just started keeping apistogrammas after picking some up at a recent auction. Is it possible to house these in the same tank i dont want them cross breeding?

Thanks in advance

aquaticclarity

Staff member
5 Year Member
welcome to the forum!

It may be possible to keep several species in the same tank under the right conditions. Which species are you refering to and what size is the tank in question?

Jeff

KnaveTO

5 Year Member
I actually have the same question. I just today bought some double red agazzi's and was looking at the caucatoides (sp?). Curious as to whether or not the females would take to males from another species as I really do not want to cross them. I currently have two tanks but am trying not to duplicate species in the tanks. I have a 50 gallon (36" long) and a 65 gallon (48" long). The Second 65 gallon tall hasn't even been set up yet nor has the 40 breeder. (both 36" long).

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Apistogramma species are known to interbreed, but rarely do so unless there is no member of the oposite sex of the same species - or are very closely related. Therefore avoid mixing single specimens that belong to the same species-group.

jose_vogel

5 Year Member
And don´t mix species with different requirements of water nor quiet species with a nervous one (ie: borelli with nijsseni).

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
I actually have the same question. I just today bought some double red agazzi's and was looking at the caucatoides (sp?). Curious as to whether or not the females would take to males from another species as I really do not want to cross them. I currently have two tanks but am trying not to duplicate species in the tanks. I have a 50 gallon (36" long) and a 65 gallon (48" long). The Second 65 gallon tall hasn't even been set up yet nor has the 40 breeder. (both 36" long).
You need not worry about caucatuoides and agassizi crossing.

slipstreamv2

5 Year Member
I'm also curious. Is there a link where I can learn about which apistos belong to different sub-species, as well as which are similar in temperament (i.e. agassizii and viejita)?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
I keep a list (originally published in the ASG's Apisto-gram). I sent an updated list to Ted Judy, but he has only used the species name in the profiles. I just sent a copy requested by the Cichlid Room Companion. They should have it on their site sometime soon. Otherwise, I suggest that you look at some of the books on dwarf cichlids (DATZ, Koslowski, Römer). They all have species listed with the species-group to which they belong. Don't be surprised if they look slightly different, especially Römer's.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….