• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Minimum Tank Size for 1 Dwarfcichlid

bbetta

5 Year Member
Hi all!
Haven’t posted here in a while....
All my tanks are long gone due to lack of time / space. Only a small tank remains (4 gallon), which until recently housed my favorite betta who died after three years.
I’d like a break from my bettas and was wondering if you would house a dwarf cichlid in that tank. I was opting to buy a young ramirezi male. It would obviously be housed alone.
I have kept rams and apistos for about 5 years in the past. They were never alone though and I used a 20 gallon.

Thanks in advance

Andy452

The smallest I have had a pair of Apistogramma Agassizii in was a 8 gallon / 30 liter that was for a quarantine tank. I think for even 1 male i would not go smaller than this and you would want to decorate it well so there are multiple points of interest for him - if that makes sense.
You could even add a handful of ember tetra.

I'm sure you know this but going to a larger tank would give some flexibility in terms of stocking in the future should you choose to also tanks with larger water volumes can be easier to maintain and be more stable.

But hey if space does not permit at this time go for a 8 or 10 gallon and see how it goes.

bbetta

5 Year Member
Thanks for your input!
If I actually go through with this I’ll probably just go with a Ram.
The only Apisto I can both easily find and would want to buy right now is an Agassizii. I think Cacatuoides and Macmasteri get quite bigger.

Please note that I wouldn’t keep it in that tank forever, I’d be sure to get a bigger tank or give it to someone else in the future.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tonc61

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….