1. Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Media Bags for peat moss in power filter -mesh size: 800/250microns?

Discussion in 'Apistogramma' started by slipstreamv2, Nov 10, 2007.

1. slipstreamv2

slipstreamv2 New Member 5 Year Member

2. Mike Wise

Mike Wise Moderator Staff Member 5 Year Member

First of all, do not use "peat moss", use sphagnum peat. They are very different. The 800 µ should be fine. I made my own net bags from coarse mesh nylon wedding veil material that can be bought at fabric stores; much less expensive than commercial bags.
  3. Mike Wise

First of all, do not use "peat moss", use sphagnum peat. They are very different. The 800 µ should be fine. I made my own net bags from coarse mesh nylon wedding veil material that can be bought at fabric stores; much less expensive than commercial bags.
  4. curviceps

curviceps Member 5 Year Member

Hi Mike

I got some "Pure Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss" - is this the right stuff? And do you need to boil it first to "wet it and get the air out" before putting it into the water barrel so that it is more effective or is this an unnecessary step?

Thanks
  5. Mike Wise

"Pure Canadian Sphagnum Peat Moss" is the right material. You could boil it first, but I don't. I'm not sure what comes from the pot in which you boil the water. And I see no reason to throw out perfectly good peat extract, either. Simply make sure that the water circulates through the moss. I use large rocks to weight down the filter bag over an undergravel filter that uses an air lift instead of a power head. It circulates water through the plate and out the uplift tube. If you use power other than air, simply make sure that the outflow pours over the filter bag.
  6. Noddy65

Noddy65 Member 5 Year Member

Hi Curviceps
    Ive just moved to Sydney from the west.
    Where did you get the peat from?

Regards
    Mike M
  7. curviceps

curviceps Member 5 Year Member

Hi Mike (Wise) - thanks for your answer as usual.

Mike (Noddy) - I've been following your move to Sydney in Discus Forums. PM'ed you about the peat moss (check your Discus Forums messages). Ordered from this company (AUD$41 for 235L bale): http://www.gardencityplastics.com/peat.htm

Cheers