• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

marbled hatchetfish ID

cootwarm

5 Year Member
I've had a couple "marbled" hatchetfish for a couple months now. But I just picked up a couple more at a different LFS and they don't look the same as the original ones.

The original ones I've had for a while, have tiny dots (or speckles) on their body. They were sold to me as marbled hatchetfish. The ones I just bought, have a body color much like that of marbled angelfish. So I think these new ones are truely marbled hatchetfish and the original ones I've had for a couple months are a different species.

Is anyone familiar with these speckled hatchetfish? Are they marbled or something else? I know they definitely aren't silver hatchetfish.

Thanks,
Michael

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
There are many many types of hatchets. I have no idea which ones you have, but I like to find odd-ball stuff at stores... especially interesting things like weird hatchets that make good dithers.

2la

5 Year Member
A couple of possibilities here. It could be a different species such as Carnegiella marthae or Gastropelecus maculatus, or you could have two subpopulations of the species C. strigata (C. s. strigata and C. s. fasciata). Try a Google image search for the above names and compare. Note that Carnegiella spp. do not have adipose fins, while Gastropelecus spp. do.

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Thanks for the help. Mystery is solved, it appears to be a Carnegiella marthae, or common name Blackwinged Hatchetfish. The LFS where I purchased them is expecting another shippment in a couple weeks. I'll have to pick up a few more.

I couldn't find a photo of the Gastropelecus maculatus, but the photos I saw of the Carnegiella marthae matched mine almost perfect.

Thanks,
Michael

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Does anyone know which edition of the Mergus Atlas discusses Hatchetfish, Pencilfish and Cardinal tetras?
I assume they are close enough related that they would be covered in the same volume.
How about Oto cats and other catfish? Same volume or a different volume?

I'm keeping these fish as tank mates for my apistos. Because they require the same water conditions, I'd like to try raising a few spawnings of each of them as well. I have a 55 gallon tank that I'd like to use as a grow-out tank for a mix of hatchetfish juvies, pencilfish juvies and one species of apisto (yet To Be Determined). Maybe even cardinals if I'm able to get them to produce.

Thanks,
Michael

cootwarm

5 Year Member
I looked at the Merger Atlas volume 1 at my LFS. It was $35. But they didn't have the other 2 volumes (2 & 3), although they could order it for me. Volume one contained information about all 4 species I mentioned (Hatchetfish, Oto Cats, Pencilfish and Cardinal tetras).

Before I spend my $35...

Does anyone know of a better book that deals with these species?

Does volumes 2 & 3 contain updated info about any of the species covered in volume 1? Or do they cover different species of fish?

By the way, my LFS where I purchased the Carnegiella marthae as Marbled Hatchetfish is going to try to get more of them for me. Currently he has a few of the real Marbled Hatchetfish.

Thanks,
Michael

2la

5 Year Member
Michael, I have all first three volumes. Volume 1 covers probably 90% of the species you're going to encounter unless you're fortunate enough to have a really good LFS like I do. For the most info on the fish species you mentioned, you'll want Volume 1. You can always build your library with additional volumes later. The later volumes do contain updated info on the preceding volume(s), but we're talking about may five or six profiles each out of hundreds. If I could only purchase one book on fish, Volume 1 of the Baensch Atlas would be it.

Randall

5 Year Member
Books about Characins

Dear Micheal,

Unless I'm missing something here, the six Mergus atlases each contain different fish species. Only volumes 1-3 are currently available in English editions, with volume four due out shortly.

Volumes 1-3, plus the photo atlas covering volumes 1-5, are in my library. Please know that there is a fair amount of misinformation and/or misidentifications in the first three volumes; i.e., have a look at the discussion of Hemichromis sp.

For good information about characins, I prefer Dr. Jacques Gery's Characoids of the World, T.F.H. Publications, 1977 (out of print). For more general information, I am partial to Mark Phillip Smith's Tetras and other Characins, Barron's, 2002. It's an inexpensive paperback but is loaded with good information. You can probably get it off the Amazon.com web site or through your local retailer.

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Hi Randall & 2la,

Thanks for your help. I picked up the first Megus Aquarium Atlas today. It was $35.99 but I was overdue to get an up to date fish book anyhow. My old fish book is called "All About Tropical Fish" by Derek McInerny & Geoffrey Gerald. The latest copyright on this book is 1963. The latest copyright date on the first volume Mergus Atlas was 1996. I imagine much has changed in 33 years! At any rate, it makes a good companion to my Mergus Cichlid Atlas.

By the way, I lost another Carnegiella marthae! My own fault. I left the lid open on the tank and it jumped out! I've got to be more careful with these hatchetfish and keep the lid closed! I hope my LFS can get more of these Carnegiella marthae. I'd like to try getting some to spawn, they've got an interesting look to them. Neat copper/bronze color to them.

Michael

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….