• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Male or Female? The age old cacatuoides question.

a_e_mags

Hi everyone! Sorry my first post here is asking for sexing help. I appreciate any advice you can give.

I ordered a pair of A. cacatuoides Triple Red from a breeder online in hopes of breeding them myself. They were listed as young juveniles, so I expect they have some more developing to do and sexing may still be difficult. Now that I've had them for a little bit and they should have been able to settle in, I'm noticing that the larger one with some color isn't exhibiting the male characteristics I've seen in other juvenile males during my research. The ventral fins are almost completely black with a spot of orange, they're actually a little shorter looking than the smaller apisto, the dorsal rays are shorter in the front, and the tail seems to have more rounded corners. This one also seems more yellow in the body. It looks a lot like the nicely colored females I've seen on other help threads here. They're the only fish in the tank besides a few otos for clean up.

I was able to take a couple photos of the one in question, but the other is always hiding after being chased away from the caves. The smaller one is pale, has no sign of orange/red at all, but the ventral fins seem a little longer and lighter? The way they behave together makes me wonder if I have two females with one being more dominant than the other. If that's the case, I think I might need to rehome the other. There's only so much researching can help with, and I feel like I'm going in circles, so now I'm turning to the experts! Thanks for any help you can provide!

Attachments

• 20210818_094842.jpg
    20210818_094842.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 211
  • 20210818_110933.jpg
    20210818_110933.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 203
  • 20210818_110954.jpg
    20210818_110954.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 225

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….