• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Male nannacara attacking female

Mhmd

Hello, i have a 20 gallon tank stocked with 8 ember tetras, a male and female nannacara the tank is planted with driftwood and leaf litter.
The male nannacara keeps charging towards the female every time he sees her or when she gets close during feeding time is that normal? Should i get another female or maybe change the male?

MacZ

The behaviour is normal. You can't do anything to completely prevent it, but with good structure (e.g. driftwood or rocks breaking the lines of sight) it can be managed.
What tank dimensions do you have? 20 high (60x30x45cm) or 20 long (76x30.5x30.5cm)?

Care to post a picture?

Mhmd

The behaviour is normal. You can't do anything to completely prevent it, but with good structure (e.g. driftwood or rocks breaking the lines of sight) it can be managed.
What tank dimensions do you have? 20 high (60x30x45cm) or 20 long (76x30.5x30.5cm)?

Care to post a picture?
I have a 20 high i know cichlids prefer more ground surface, i am looking for a 55 gallon tank and sell this one or use it as a shrimp tank.
Thank you for your reply.

Mhmd

I have a 20 high i know cichlids prefer more ground surface, i am looking for a 55 gallon tank and sell this one or use it as a shrimp tank.
Thank you for your reply.

Attachments

• 9318D992-F4F5-4918-A83F-264CE4A08CBC.jpeg
    9318D992-F4F5-4918-A83F-264CE4A08CBC.jpeg
    3.6 MB · Views: 135

MacZ

I can already see half the footprint area is open space. I would add more wood, especially to break the lines of sight front to back. Important is that the fish can't see through on their usual swimming leven (lowest 10-15cm) If they can look or swim through underneath it, the barrier doesn't work.

Here you'll find a schematic I drew up some time ago, that will be helpful to you.

Mhmd

I can already see half the footprint area is open space. I would add more wood, especially to break the lines of sight front to back. Important is that the fish can't see through on their usual swimming leven (lowest 10-15cm) If they can look or swim through underneath it, the barrier doesn't work.

Here you'll find a schematic I drew up some time ago, that will be helpful to you.
Thank you, that ishelpfull i will try to change the scape this weekend hopefully the aggression will decrease.

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
csteele

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….