• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Male Agassizii has gone very shy.

Ambidextrous

Hi all.
I have introduced myself in the correct section but just in case you don't see it, I'm Steve. :)

I'm very pleased to have found this forum as I'm concerned about one of my males. I have two pairs of A. Agassizii and they couldn't be more different in their temperament. In my main tank (600 litre) I have mainly Rainbowfish and the Agassizii in there are very bold, they spend a lot of time together but the female is always very dark and neither of them seem interested in breeding at all. I'm absolutely fine with that, I bought them as I like them not to breed them. They are both very healthy and eat well. The male is so happy and confident I literally have to hoover around him when it's maintenance day and he swims in the bubbles enjoying himself when I refill the tank after a water change.

My upstairs tank (100 litre) has the second pair and ten Lemon Tetra as dithers. They were in a smaller tank until about two weeks ago when I bought the current tank for them so they had a little more room and some extra plants, wood and hiding places. They did try and spawn twice in the smaller tank but the eggs stayed white. Not sure if it's due to the PH being a little high or an infertile fish??? Anyway, I'm waffling.... The female is her usual self and has been since three days after moving. She's eating, coming to the front of the tank to greet me, and seems completely happy. The male hides behind a rock or in a cave and stays there. I have only seen him eat once and I'm very concerned about him. They were acclimated properly when moving and as with all my fish, were treated with kid gloves.

For reference, both pairs are almost full grown and show good colour. Food is a mixture of bug bites, pellets, frozen and live food.
Both pairs were bred by my local LFS in water exactly the same parameters as my own.
The only issue I've had before is the female in the small tank had a slightly cloudy eye when I first bought her. It was treated and cleared in a couple of days. No issues since.

Thanks for any help or advice.

Ambidextrous

I've never noticed before but the male in question seems to have a very slight arch to his shape and a slightly puffy belly. (Arched as in the centre of his back is the highest point) I'm trying to research to see if there's an issue of some kind.

Ambidextrous

Thanks Mike Wise. His back isn't curved like a boomerang but it is noticeable. He's always had a little bit of a pot belly but he always seemed happy and was eating well. I don't have a quarantine tank set up right now but it wouldn't take me 5 minutes to move the lemon tetra and the female into my main tank and medicate the male on his own.
What would you suggest medicine wise? I currently have API aquarium salt, eSHa 2000 and Melafix. I'm happy to buy whatever I need.
Thanks again.

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
A quarantine tank can be as simple as a large shoe box with a sponge filter and heater. I cannot help you with medications. I do not medicate unless I am rather sure of the problem. Otherwise I just feed quality food, make sure the water quality is excellent, let the fish's immune system do its best - and often pray (cannot hurt).

Ambidextrous

Hi Mike.
I finally mustered enough courage to do a large water change and pull the cave out of the tank to see what was up with him. Unfortunately he looked rather frail and his rear end was full of Callamanus. That must have happened so quickly, poor little thing. I've never seen or had it in any of my tanks before.
Being an old fish in such poor condition I did the deed (I felt awful) and he's not suffering any more. His rear end looked terrible, worse than most of the images I found online. I just hope it hasn't spread to the other fish.
At least I know before this happened he was pampered with good food, excellent water quality and a beautiful tank to live in. All the more annoying that this happened.
Thanks again for all the help Mike. Much appreciated.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JaconieMalonie

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….