• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lowering Water Conductivity

dfea

5 Year Member
Hi All,

So I just bought my first conductivity meter, calibrated it, and discovered that the water in my tanks is much harder than I thought. I guess those GH test kits aren't worth the money paid. Anyway, I use only reconstituted RO/DI so softening the water isn't a problem. So how quickly can one safely lower the conductivity of the water? I keep primarily Westies.

Thanks - Dan

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Conductivity measures all the salts in the water (nearer to TDS than GH), so it may well be measuring ions that don't contribute to the GH or KH.

Have a look here <http://www.forum.apistogramma.com/showthread.php?t=9424>.

I don't think it will particularly bother the fish how quickly you lower the conductivity, I'd just change the aquarium water with 10% straight RO every day until you get to the value you want. I'd go fairly slowly as you may find pH becomes more unstable at lower conductivities.

cheers Darrel

dfea

5 Year Member
Thanks Darrel,

Based on the description in the link, can I assume that the high conductivity may be a result of the buffer added after re-constituting?

- Dan

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
high conductivity may be a result of the buffer added after re-constituting?
Almost certainly, the conductivity just measures the level of dissolved salts, but not which ones they are. I'd probably add less of the re-constituting salts to your RO until you reach the level you want in the tank (I don't know much about Westies, but probably fairly stable and about 100-150 micro S. in the tank water).

cheers Darrel

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I am going to be targeting the 90 uS range.
Yes that is all the water testing I do now, no pH's, nitrates etc. just a daily water change and a very occasional conductivity reading. It makes sense really, "stability & good water = happy fish".
cheers Darrel

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ilyiahib

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….