• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Looking for Apisto Elizabethae

MikeNYC

5 Year Member
Hello,

I have one female A. Eliza red, which I was told was wild caught, and I am looking for at least a new pair to join the tank.

Does anyone know where to buy them? I have tried almost everywhere with no luck.

thanks

inexorable

5 Year Member
elizabethae

I saw some for sale in New World Aquarium on 38th St near corner of 3rd Ave in manhattan this past summer. The owner is really kewl. If you ask him, he might be able to get you some more. I don't even know his name = ) They have good selection of plants too.

Dave

MikeNYC

5 Year Member
Hey Mr. Apisto Dave,

Why are the Eliza so hard to come by here in the US? Since you are a dealer, I would think that you would come by them once in a while.

inexorable

5 Year Member
Fish source

Try dropping Mark Denaro an email. He imports fish from Europe, Peru, Brazil, a few other places. He runs a great small business selling rare fish, plants, and dry goods. What happens, is he posts availablitiy lists he gets from overseas or wherever and customers request which fish he should order. He just received T. candidi, A. gephyra, A. sp. Tefe blue, and A. panduro last week. You might have to be patient, waiting for the species you want to become available.

His web page - http://groups.yahoo.com/group/anubiasdesign/

Also, check Oliver Lucanus' web site and write an email requesting to be on the mailing list. He imports all kinds of exotic dwarf cichlids from SA and about once every month or two, he sends out a list of fish he has imported [to Canada]. You should be able to get some great wild caught fish from him. I never ordered from him yet, but I get excited reading the list of all the exotic apistos he offers.
Mr. Lucanus' site - http://www.belowwater.com/index.html

Finally, check Mike Jacobs' website, http://www.southernapistos.com/ He gets in new apistos about once every 2 or 3 months from overseas.

I'm sure these are just a few of the modest, personalized businesses that can help you get some fish that are hard to come by. Google apistograma+shipping and other searches like that to find more contacts. Write these guys emails and let them know that you are looking for whichever fish you're interested in, and they will try to get it for you.

One other note, in light of the fact we're both in New York: The North East Council of Aquarium Societies(NEC) has a very awesome annual convention in Connecticut coming up in April. http://www.northeastcouncil.org/ They are having some great guest speakers--the speaker I'm most excited about is Claus Christensen from Tropica Aquarium Plants in Denmark, the world's leading business in aquarium plants--a big fish show and a giant auction. There will be many of the most highly regarded aquarists from all over the US there. There is likely to be some desirable dwarf cichlids you can bid on at the auction on sunday.

I think it would be a great thread if some more members could enlighten us about other purveyors of fine dwarf cichlids I didn't mention.

I thought of one other thing too. The society I joined, North Jersey Aquarium Society(NJAS) , besides being fun and informative, etc., had this freaking awesome outing to a wholesaler's fishroom last month. I enjoyed getting to know fellow hobbyists and inspecting his very kewl facility. Then, we got to buy really great fish for great prices. I grabbed some gorgeous A. nisjjeni along with some nice A. Macmasteri. The fish he had that were unbelievable were some stunning west African dwarfs. He had a few species that no one knew what they were. Come to think of it, he was selling A. elizabethae = ( NJAS meets once a month, very near Giants Stadium. They are going back on another trip to his and other wholesalers' fishrooms, probably in a few months. If New Jersey is annoying for you to get to, I recommend checking out Greater City Aquarium Society (GCAS) They meet in Queens. I'll give you one final tip: If you're in this forum, posting and such, it is my assertion that it is only a matter of time before you attend and join a society. What are you waiting for? Check out one of these clubs in February.

MikeNYC

5 Year Member
Hey inexorable,

Thanks for that great info! Yes, I will indeed be joing a local club or society shortly. I have recently dramatically upgraded my tank and equipment to accomodate my 2 pairs of wild caught A Eliza coming next week (yes, i finally found them.)

Was the wholesaler you toured in New Jersey Tony Orso by any chance? I heard he recently had some Eliza, but he has been very hard to get in touch with. I am not sure what is going on with his site.

inexorable

5 Year Member
wholesaler visit

Yes, it was Tony Orso. Very nice man. Before NJAS went to visit his fishroom, I too, tried to contact him and asked him if he would entertain retail walk-in customers. He told me no, he doesn't allow walk-in retail customers. He sells fish to lots of LFS's. His fish were so much more awesome than the LFS I've been in around here though. I got very excited when it was announced that the club would have an trip to his facility. NJAS will return there at some point this year, maybe a few months.

You should come out Feb 16, close to Giants stadium. I'm a fan of the speaker they're having, Dr. Paul Loiselle, who is also a regular member. He is giving a slide presentation and lecture on west african cichlids. The last one he did, on endemic cichlids of Madagascar, was sick. He goes there to the field and studies the animals and their habitat. The slides are photos he took. His talk makes you feel like you're on some tropical adventure, and its a nice length 1 - 1.5 hours http://njas.net/

Dave

Christine-FishGrrl

5 Year Member
You may want to check out www.mainlycichlids.com, Jim's is a great breeder and dealer located in Santa Clara, CA. He's doing a group order from Oliver Lucanus on Feb 13th but he also does group orders from other wholesalers - the different fish lists are on their website.

MikeNYC

5 Year Member
thanks Christine. I am getting my shipment on Friday from Canada. Including 2 pairs of wild caught Elizabethae plus various new species of tetras.

I will check out Jim's fish list for future needs. I will probably be setting up a larger tank soon with Geos.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….