• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Lone female apisto & chequerboards

Minders

5 Year Member
I have a lone female apisto agassizi who is currently residing in a tank that has only a male crowntail betta. I have to keep the betta contained as in my experience, apistos and bettas do not mix and usually, it's the bettas that come out shredded. However, I would really like to be able to let the betta have a bit more swimming space.

I would like to move the lone apisto to another tank, but the only two tanks that are even remotely suitable are a 4ft planted tank that has a happy pair of golden rams in it, or a thickly planted 2.5ft tank that has some chequerboard cichilds in it.

I don't wish to upset the balance with either the rams or the chequerboards - does anyone have any opinions on whether she would be OK in either of these tanks? There are no male agassizis or any other types of apistos at the moment. And she is quite a senior herself, a couple of years old at least.

Thanks in advance :)

apistodave

Staff member
5 Year Member
lone female

A lone female Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!! send me 7.00 for shipping and I send a boy--Darn didnt see the Bristol England thing --I am going to Germany in July--take the ferry come over and we skip the 7.00

Minders

5 Year Member
A lone female Arrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrgggggggggggggghhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!! send me 7.00 for shipping and I send a boy--Darn didnt see the Bristol England thing --I am going to Germany in July--take the ferry come over and we skip the 7.00

She's leftover from a bunch of apistos I had. As I said, she's a senior citizen. Made a decision not to restock when the others eventually went as I was going for a bit of a change having had them for a long time. I don't normally keep them on their own, and if I knew someone nearby that had apistos, I'd rehome her, but can't. So I'm trying to make the best situation out of what I've got. Thus my seeking advice about whether she'd be OK in any of these other tanks...

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
Hi Minders,
I'd put her in with the Checkerboards, assuming that they are not spawning, and the Rams are. Where are you in Bristol? I'm at work (at Newton Park), just down the road from Keynsham.
cheers Darrel

Minders

5 Year Member
Neither the rams nor the chequerboards are currently spawning, though I'm hoping that either will try. Saying that though, the rams are in a community tank, so even if they do spawn, there'll be little chance of them raising the fry I wouldn't have thought... I have seen them spawn once so far, but turned around and ate their eggs almost straight away. They look like they might be thinking about it again, but as I said, with catfish, etc, in the tank with them, they don't stand much chance.

I'm in East Bristol, near St George's Park. About 5 miles from Keynsham I guess. :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Garavar

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….