• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

leaf litter

heslipst

5 Year Member
revisiting

Revisiting the leaf litter discussion. Does anyone has any experience drying out leaves? Being new here in Milwaukee, I am astounded to find VERY few oak trees ... there aren't even any on Oak Leaf Trail! The leaves that i have found are still.... a "little" green. Would anyone advise drying them out in an oven perhaps? ... or is this a fire hazard waiting to happen?

Thx,
Steve

Zapisto

5 Year Member
Reine Louve said:
Oaks are fairly uncommon here, does anyone know if Big Leaf Maple leaves could be used instead? These are readily available pretty much always here. If so would they make the p.h more acidic?

Big Leaf Maple leaves is not good at all.

Rikadyn

5 Year Member
what is the common amount of leafs used in the litter set up. i keep picturing in my head like a wall of leafs in the tank :p. also for about how long does a "set" of leaves last before needing to be replaced?

farm41

5 Year Member
I drop a couple handfuls into a 10g tank. They can last a couple of months, but the leaves do start to break down after that long, not that big a deal.

Rikadyn

5 Year Member
the irony of having that many fruit trees, yet no oaks, just maples has crossed my mind...

Rikadyn

5 Year Member
i think my old HS has Oaks, but not sure i want to wander the property gathering leaves.... still would like to know if like Cherry or Apple leaves would work...

Neil

I don't know about fruit tree leaves, but if your HS has oak trees, I would find a reason to visit your ole' stomping grounds.
Neil

MaryPa

5 Year Member
I gathered some oak leaves a couple weeks ago but they all have critters buried in them,so I tossed them out :cry: Would they have been ok with the critters in them?I`m not really sure what it wa just dark spots.i`d hate to put something bad for my fish in the tanks.

cootwarm

5 Year Member
Hi MaryPa,

You just need to boil them for a minute or two, that'll kill any critters.

I just picked a couple bags myself. It takes awhile as I was looking for those with no blemishes. I figure if I'm going to keep leaf litter in my tanks, it might as well look good. I've also found that the blemishes are the first part to rot away. I found a good assortment at my local park. It's called "Oakledge Park", there must be almost a dozen different varieties of oak trees that were probably planted almost 100 years ago. I found the best ones along the tennis court fences where the wind blew them (nice and dry).

I want to make another trip in a couple days, before the snow flies. They only last in the tank about 3 or 4 months, then they need to be replaced.

Michael

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….