• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Leaf Litter Tank

Tom

5 Year Member
I have just set up a new 13" cube as a leaf litter tank. I have lots of stick type bogwood and some large-ish leaves that have been boiled, soaked etc. :biggrin:

I was just wondering if it would be suitable for a pair of apistos. I used to have a realy nice "pair" about a year ago, with blue speckled heads, but I cant find a picture/species name for it anywhere. Any suggestions? :confused:

Many thanks, Tom

Refael Hdr.

5 Year Member
Hi Tom,
It looks to me like a great tank setup for Apistos. Which kind of leaves did you use and what are the water parameters?

The blue speckled head fish that you've described could fit many species of Apisto. try to give some more details about it...

Tom

5 Year Member
It looks to me like a great tank setup for Apistos. Which kind of leaves did you use and what are the water parameters?
I used leaves from our small tree outside (not sure exactly what kind!!). Are some leaves better than others?

Tapwater params are a small problem but can be overcome (mainly pH):

pH from tap: 8.2 (down to 7.2 in the tank so I will use aged water when doing changes from a 2.5g tank I will set up w/ powerhead/heater)
KH is 8
GH is 10
N02 is undetected
N03 is less than 5
NH4 is undetected

The blue speckled head fish that you've described could fit many species of Apisto. try to give some more details about it...
From looking in google images I think it looks like a borelli-like body..But thats as far as I got!

Tom

5 Year Member
Well the water has cleared up a lot now, and I have put my golden ram in as he was getting bullied by the keyholes in the main community tank. He will be removed when I get the apistos.
I think I am leaning towards getting a pair of borelli for this tank.

Just a couple of questions:
Is there much agression between apistos?
Is a pair OK or should I get a trio?
And do mated pairs stay together or just mate once and move on?

Heres the tank:
ResizeWizard-1-1.jpg

Resize-Wizard-2.jpg

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Your tank is too small for most polygamous apisto species, like A. agassizii. I suggest that you get a pair of A. borellii for it. Beech & oak are the best leaves to use as leaf litter (it looks like you might be using beech or elm). These release tannins & help acidify the water. Your blue-speckeled apisto probably was A. sp. Blue-head/Blaukopf/Steel-blue (it is sold under a number of names).

Tom

5 Year Member
Thanks for the reply, I think they are beech leaves.

Borelli look pretty cool, so I'll have a look around. Ive added more leaves since yesterday and its looking pretty good I think. My ram seems to be enjoying his temporary home anyway.

Ive also just discovered that we have a rain water butt too, and the params are no real measurable hardness, pH 6.4 so I'll be using that. Just need a new heater now...

Roach

5 Year Member
That little tank looks pretty cool Tom. Keep us updated on it's progress.
On the topic of leaf litter in tanks, does anyone know anything about Ficus leaves???

fishgeek

dont fig's ahve white sap? if so then not a good idea , says my mind without quite understanding why!

hope your enjoying the warm christmas

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
Ficus leaves have a sap with alkalies in it that can be toxic. I know that these are very common in the leaf litter in apistos' natural habitat, but the toxins are diluted by the continual flow of fresh water.

Roach

5 Year Member
Well that about settles it then. No ficus leaves in the tank. Gotta find some oak leaves to try.:biggrin:

The warm Xmas is not all it's cracked up to be Andrew. There's bush fires everywhere at the moment so some people will be manning the hoses on their houses tomorrow.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moses

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….