• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Large variety of questions

K

ksboy27

I'm new to this forum and am very glad to have found it!

I haven't searched all of these items for the sake of time and because i figured it would give you more to talk about! Who doesn't like that? First and foremost, pardon my spellings. I'll get there!

I am receiving quite a few apistos tomorrow and have some concerns.
I will be getting pairs of Agassizii, Panduro, Inca 50, Borelli, Iniridae, Cacatouides, Trifasciata, Viejita, Blue Rams, and Maciliensis. I have a 115 gallon planted tank that they will be going into which already contains one pair of Cacatouides. The only hiding spaces I have are those provided by stem plants but more could be created.

Questions:

1. Will I have fighting problems, and if so, will the shy pair (Borelli) be ok in a 5 gallon planted hex? Do I have bigger problems than just that pair?

2. I keep an ideally conditioned 29 gallon that contains another Cac pair. How many breeding pair could I reasonably keep in that tank with ample hiding spots?

3. How on earth do you keep track of the females of each species. With some exceptions they all look the same to me. I'd hate to pull a pair out and move them to the breeding tank and have the wrong girl. :)

4. I'm assuming from what I've read that they will all live just fine in my water conditions but they won't spawn unless I improve them (i.e. my 29 gallon) Is this correct thinking? Behavioral changes based on environment?

5. Will any of them take out my algae eating shrimp?

Any and all feedback is appreciated!

Tony

Zapisto

5 Year Member
well,

in my point of view , gallon is not the important things with Apisto.
the important thing is the Surface area.

also in my opinion again , you have too many pairs for your 115 gallons tanks.

P.W.

5 Year Member
Hi

Sorry to say this, but I think you will loose a couple of those species you have there!. You have far to many species in the same tank. I think that you should consider to have a number of smaller tanks instead of one 115 gallon.

You will definately have a "fighting problem" in this tank. My guess is that the Panduro or the Inca couple will be the only one´s left in the end.

There´s also a risk of crossbreeding the Macilience and the trifasciata. Since they are closely related.

I think it´s better to concentrate on just a few species. I have eighteen tanks in my basement, but I only have these species; A. Steindachneri, Borelli, Resticulosa, sp. redpoint, D. filamentosus, L.Curviceps and C. Marooni.

Best regards/ Per

farm41

5 Year Member
Fireworks wow!!!! 8O 8O

Better buy some more tanks. I like your fish list, but I would have each pair in their own tanks.

Neil

ksboy27,

WELCOME TO THE FORUM

1. Will I have fighting problems, and if so, will the shy pair (Borelli) be ok in a 5 gallon planted hex? Do I have bigger problems than just that pair?

I'ld say so. The borellii will be good in the 5, but you might want to consider getting a few more tanks for some of those other species as well. If you have spawns of any of these fish, you will likely not only have fighting problems, but also keeping any fry alive problems.

2. I keep an ideally conditioned 29 gallon that contains another Cac pair. How many breeding pair could I reasonably keep in that tank with ample hiding spots?

Two

3. How on earth do you keep track of the females of each species. With some exceptions they all look the same to me. I'd hate to pull a pair out and move them to the breeding tank and have the wrong girl. :)

Aside from the aggression issues, that is one of the other major problems in keeping many apisto species together.

4. I'm assuming from what I've read that they will all live just fine in my water conditions but they won't spawn unless I improve them (i.e. my 29 gallon) Is this correct thinking? Behavioral changes based on environment?

Aside from the crowding issue, I don't know what (water) conditions you have in your tank. Yes, behavior will be modified by the circumstances of the environment that fish are subject to.

5. Will any of them take out my algae eating shrimp?

For food - unlikely. During spawning or just because they don't like them hanging around their territory - possible.

Do yourself a favor. Choose 3 or 4 species (maybe rams and 2 apistos species) for you main tank. That may not be possible since you probably have put them in by this time. Let us know how things are going!

Neil

K

ksboy27

I think this is going to end up being a good experiment and I will report back how the agression goes as they mature. Dave Soares is interested in knowing how it goes since they're his product. I'm not big on the possiblity that I'll lose some fish, but I'm hoping I can manage it in a tank that size with caves. When it comes to them breeding, I'll be rotating them in and out of my 29 when I'm seriously interested in saving the fry. I have two 10 gallons waiting to be setup in the event that I have real problems. Right now they're too immature to care very much.
It is interesting to watch the male agassizii chasing my paradise gourami because they look similar.
Thanks for the info and I'll keep you posted.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AndrewShNN

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….