• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

L. dorsigera ... pair or no?

Rhaethe

5 Year Member
Hey there ... From all the reading I've done, I -think- I have 2 L. dorsigera. I'm not terribly sure which fish is which sex. I managed to distract them long enough with my other hand to get some pictures snapped. They are very much like puppies in that regard ;)

I have noticed that these fish change colors fairly quickly. The smaller one has been really yellow the past couple days.

I would really appreciate some help in getting these identified and sexed. I had purchased therm as a pair of L. curviceps ... but the horizontal bar stops midway just like a dorsigera ... but they don't have the red belly/throat. If they end of as two males, as I suspect, then I'll need to start the hunt for a mate for him.

Jeff72

I am not sure how to sex this species, but I definitely would like to get them at some point.

I am just curious... who sold them to you as L. curviceps?

Whichever species, they are certainly beautiful cichlids. What else do you have in the tank with them, if I may ask?

Rhaethe

5 Year Member
briztoon -- Well, that explains a lot :) I have noted from the reading that I've done, that while dorsigera and curviceps are quite similar, dorsigera does tend to be more boisterous and leans more to the carnivorous than omnivorous in eating preferences. Which certainly seems to be the case with the fish I have. Although I have noticed the smaller of the two picking the plants clean of any algae quite regularly.

Jeff72 -- Currently, they are in the tank with some white cloud minnows. I keep the temp at 78F, so its a touch warmer than white clouds might normally like, but they are working great as active, attractive dithers. Anything smaller than them gets hunted ... and eaten if I'm not quick enough to get it out.

They are very responsive and attentive little fish, never hiding, even though they have caves and hidey spots available to them.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Elvashave

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….