• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

L. Curviceps

BoBzz

5 Year Member
Does anyone have pics of both male and female Laetacara Curviceps?
On fishbase it lists the female as the larger of the two, is this true?

Thanks in advance!

Neil

BoBzz,

Sorry no pics, but I don't think that females are larger than the male when they are fully mature. Maybe they had a 6 month old male and a 9 month old female to go from :roll: :? Male get to about 8 to 9cm and females are about 7cm.

Neil

BoBzz

5 Year Member
Thanks Neil! :)

How do you sex them at the juvenile and subadult stages?
I read that both color up to about the same extent.

P

Pei

Just helping out here :)

These Curviceps are F0 from Santarem location. Not much different, just that they carry more blue on their body.

However, I do have 2 more with standard color, I can try to take pix of them.

Male Curviceps
2004_0201Image0083.JPG

2004_0201Image0113.JPG

Female Curviceps
2004_0201Image0088.JPG

aspen

5 Year Member
if you want to ENSURE that you get a pair with fish that don't show much or any difference in the sexes, it is better to get a few specimens and let them pair off naturally, then take out the ones that are not in the pair.

even buying a sure male and female does not ensure that these will pair off and breed, but having competition for mates will increase your odds of having a breeding pair. whether you are dealing with di-morphic or non di-morphic species, buying a group of small fish and growing them out will be more likely to yield a pair. cichlid agression will be dissipitated, and smaller fish are less money to purchase, and make you more familiar with needs of the fish at a young age. a. curviceps at 1" size are so cheap, it makes this strategy easy to justify.

rick

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
*Wants on the waiting list for fry from those Santarem Curviceps!!!*

Sweet looking. I've never had a curviceps color up like that!

Randall

5 Year Member
DearBoBzz,

If you search the forum using the keywords "Laetacara," "curviceps" and "dorsigera," there is a lot of information here that can help you out. Pei's excellent photos don't show it, females of some populations of L. curviceps exhibit a more prominent dark dorsal blotch than males.

Pei, those photos are extraordinary. What magnificent fish!

Good luck!

Randall Kohn

GSRACER

5 Year Member
Hehe :lol: it looks like the female in the first picture is trying to get the males attention. Like shes yelling at him or somthing.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grey58

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….