• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

kribs body markings faded

kribber

5 Year Member
I have numerous krib fry. Some have the classic high contrast dark lateral line and lighter colors above and below. Many look washed out and have a faded line with the usually light colors above are somewhat darker than normal. I have had adult male kribs do this where they will look washed out for awhile and then get more sharply defined colors or vice versa. Any feedback would be appreciated.
I don't check my parameters so couldn't tell what they are. The tanks are well planted and maintained.

Randall

5 Year Member
Pelvicachromis pulcher

Dear Kribber,

Coloration in cichlids is mood dependent. Well kept fish tend to exhibit their best coloration, while fish kept under less than optimum conditions don't. Also, in a group of fry, eventually more dominant fish will emerge, and their coloration may tend to be stronger than that of the others.

All the best,

Randall Kohn

kribber

5 Year Member
Thanks for your prompt reply Randall.
Actually it is the larger dominant fry that are tending to be faded. The fin colors are equal to or better than the non faded fry. All are healthy and growing. It seems to start when they are 1/2"-3/4" long.
I have a feeling that it may only be happening in the male fry.
I have had a couple of male kribs that were well colored fade out for awhile and then re-color for no apparent reason. These males were kept with females in consistently maintained (very) low density tanks.

kribber

5 Year Member
Just an update. I was initially feeding my fry a combination of flakes, frozen daphnia and frozen brine-shrimp. Now I have essentially eliminated the flakes and am feeding them Tetra color bits (small granules) and brine-shrimp. The bits have considerably more bulk than flakes. The high-constrast pattern has returned to most of them. A few of the largest fry are still faded though. I believe the return to normal pattern is related to the bulkier diet (not because they are "color-bits").
They feed quite heavily on these granules and I'm sure my water quality has declined but they certainly look alot better. :D

kribber

5 Year Member
There is no substrate. I have many plants in pots though. Do you think a dark substrate would help?
As I've mentioned the color contrast has returned to most of them. A few of the largest ones are still a little washed out. I'm pretty sure the diet has much to do with it, either the extra bulk or nutritional elements.
The strange thing is that I've had males in consistently maintained tanks look good for awhile and then completely fade out for an extended period of time and then re-color. They breed well regardless.
I should mention that I've also added wild almond leaves to the tanks. That may also be a contributing factor.

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I use substrate in all my Pelvicachromis tanks because they really like to dig a lot. I use a reddish-brown #30 sand...

kribber

5 Year Member
I used to have some black sand around the nest area in a couple of my tanks. Now I am in a fry raising phase and want to keep my tanks as easy to maintain as possible.

ancientaquarist

5 Year Member
Coloring, breeding and Pelvicachromis pulcher.

My pair became intensely colored during the prespawning ritual and the lock jaw phase. Then the female disappeared. When she reappeared after some days she was completely washed out. My +instincts suggest that losing color for breeding fish is good sensibile protection. My babies are very young and almost glassine-another protective strategy.

My male has always been very labile about his coloring (mood) but has a thick indelible midline which is always vivid. Since he is protecting fry his colors have lightened. One thing I have noted is that neither mom or pop
carries their anal fins open since the young came along. They are clamped shut against their lower bodies-especially noticable on him because those fins arelong, and a combo of lavender and fuchsia-quite spectacular.

How soon should I be able to see signs of growth and pigment on the young? I've never bred P. pulcher before and wasn't intending to now but it's always fun to watch cichlids in action though these are quite shy and don't strike me as bright as some other Neotropical spp. This is all probably anthropomorphising and silly. Forgive if so. Their faces are like African tribal masks and devoid of expression but they sure know what they're doing.

What was this piffl I read in Goldstein and Axelrod about them not getting along. They'r certainly a team as good as my best Etroplus were-assuming my memory still works after almost 45 years. Cheers!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cesarmora1

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….