• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

kribs and a boy

farm41

5 Year Member
My 10 year old says he's tired of his guppies and wants something more interesting, he really likes my apistos and rams, but they are a lot of work with our water. I suggested kribs and he is very interested, the lfs has a tankful of small kribs. His tank is a well planted 20H, co2 injected and 65 watts T8 lighting, onyx sand on the bottom. Is a planted 20 big enough for kribs? How many?

Ph7
Gh13
Kh8

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
Watch out! 22 years ago this coming Friday, for my 10th Birthday, my late grandfather got me a 20g tank. We put in a couple angels, some cory cats, and a pair of kribs. One day, the female krib came out from behind one of my lush plastic plants with 7 tiny freeswimming fry. I was excited out of this world. Called everyone I could think. Showed everyone who I could drag into my room. Got down to 3 fry and I was getting concerned. Talked dad into letting me get another tank to put them in, for their protection...22years and 30 some tanks later I still point to that moment as the time I went from being a fish keeper/watcher to an aquarist. From that moment it was read anything I could get my hands on (Al Gore hadn't invented the Internet yet ;) ). Then I had to get the corys to spawn. Then I was lucky enough that the 2 angels were a male and female and got them to spawn. From that point it was all over as far as I was concerned. This is the hobby for me. If it wasn't for the kribensis, I'd probably have a tank in the living room to look at on occasion and not really have jumped into the hobby like I am today.

Oh, your water sounds pretty much like what I keep them in. Might be a tad hard, but they are very adaptable. Good luck with them and prepare to add more tanks to "his" collection :D

Neil

Wow, that is one nice setup for a 10 year old! As I recall, a 20 tall has a footprint of a ten. And since they will primarily be on the bottom, you should avoid a large group. However, they are small now and the tank is heavily planted, so it should be fine for awhile. But be prepared to rescue some in the future. As Cichlids1 said, the perms are probably fine for kribs. Heck, they are probably fine for some apistos (ie, cacatuoides). I'm sure your son will have much more fun with cichlids than the guppies. You could probably still keep them in there, if you don't have any moral objection to the ready-made food supply (guppy fry) for the new fish.

Cichlids1,
That is a great story. That is what fishkeeping should be about. I am sure Al is just as sorry as you are that he did come up with the idea sooner. But didn't he invent books too!

farm41

5 Year Member
Maybe the tank isn't a tall, it's a 24" x 12" footprint. Taylor got a little help with the co2 and lights, but, he is very interested in the plants and fish. Both my kids(twin boys) have their own tanks, Andrew has a 10 with a betta.

Cichlids1, I like your story too. There could be much worse things for a 10 year old to do than think about and care for tropical fish.

BTW, my boys will be turning 11 on the 25th of this month, and they already have tanks, and they both want more fish and more tanks. My wife just goes nuts when they talk like that. She thinks 9 tanks is too many already.

Tommorow is maintanence day and the ritual lfs day, Taylor has been talking about the kribs for days now, he can't wait. For that matter, I'm excited too.

Thanks

farm41

5 Year Member
A pair of kribs are in, they made a real nice addition to Taylor's tank. Are the cory's going to have to be moved?

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
How goes the new fish? You get him peeled away from the tank yet? ;) The kribs will be oblivious to the cories unless they get too close to home. Then it will be a quick peck or a short chase, not much else.

farm41

5 Year Member
The Kribs are doing great, and they only bother the cory's at feeding time and then it's just as you said a little peck. It got pretty rough when he fed grindal worms the other day, the kribs didn't want to share and this is the cory's favorite food.

farm41

5 Year Member
I think we have 2 females, the larger ones stays in the cave most of the time only coming out to chase the other when it gets to close. It's not a short chase either it's clear across the tank and then some.

Neil

farm41,
Do you still think that you have 2 females? You should be able to reliably tell by looking at the ventral fins. On a female the ventral will be fat and compact-looking. On the male, it will be thinner and pointed. The female also has a chrome color in her dorsal and the male doesn't.
Neil

farm41

5 Year Member
Well, I just don't know for certain. The one I am pretty sure is a female and the other looks like it has pointed ventrals so I think it is a male, but, they sure aren't paired up. They stay at opposite ends of the tank. Should we be patient or try something else?

Neil

farm41,
Give them a little more time. Westies can be a little more aggressive than apistos, so what your seeing isn't unusual. As long as there is no real injuries occuring, they work their differences out when it's time for egg laying.
Which one is in the cave? The one with the pointed ventrals or the other?

Neil

When she's ready, she'll probably invite the male over for a date. That's if the other is a male and he's man enough for her. It would probably be a good sign if he was not running from her. She may want to evaluate his value as a strong partner.
Neil

Neil

Probably, but not for sure! Females will sometimes color up AND lay eggs without a male present. But that doesn't happen often. You probably have a male in there that is getting the call to do his duty.

P

Pat

Wonderful! Are the fry making it okay? (If, as with happened in my case, one day the adults just up and eat all the fry, don't get discouraged. They could do this if they get suddenly scared, or if they just want to breed again.) If your fry make it through to adolescence, I'm betting the lfs would be more than ready to maybe buy them off you. Then your son's hobby can support itself. Cool, huh?

Congratulations to Tyler.

-- Pat

farm41

5 Year Member
He has them in a growout tank, they are doing well. 3 feedings a day, mostly bbs and recently they have been getting blackworms. Yes, the lfs will take the kribs too, we have a very good deal worked out there.

Cichlids1

5 Year Member
And it begins...I see additional tanks in your son's future! Get them hooked while they are young and don't have the will power to resist :wink: Here's hoping the pleasant suprises greatly outnumber the dissapointments!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….