• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Cacatuoides Color ID and Age

livierrr

Curious about my little cacatuoides guy's color and age is. I understand he may be too young to really know what color he's going to be, but just curious, and also curious when I might be able to ID if not now. Hard to tell in the pictures, but his anal fin does have a yellow/orange tint to it. I can't seem to find anything online of comparisons of juveniles. The middle picture makes it look like there's some black to his tail but that's just the background showing through.

Can't exactly measure him, but he's somewhere between 1-1.5 inches long by my eyeball estimate.

1676321942898.png
1676322048686.png
1676321972597.png

livierrr

I hope so!! I was starting to wonder if he was an orange flash. Which I would still be happy with, as I've been looking for an apisto for months and my local store finally got some in and I didn't even care about color in the moment. And I would be happy with any color, I did REALLY want a red.

What would you guess his age is? And how quick do they grow? I'm letting him grow out before moving him to his permanent home in a 20 gal tall

dw1305

5 Year Member
Hi all,
I was starting to wonder if he was an orange flash.
I'd guess they are "Orange Flash", purely because "chequering" in the caudal <"fin is the dominant gene">. All my offspring were <"chequered">

I also think that "Orange Flash" was line bred from "Double Red" (and "Double Red" line bred from wild)

I kept A.cactuoides for a couple of years, and if you don't select for fin colour you get a range of red, orange <"and yellow fins">, with varying degrees of colour in terms of fins, involved, area and intensity.

cheers Darrel

livierrr

Hi all,

I'd guess they are "Orange Flash", purely because "chequering" in the caudal <"fin is the dominant gene">. All my offspring were <"chequered">

I also think that "Orange Flash" was line bred from "Double Red" (and "Double Red" line bred from wild)

I kept A.cactuoides for a couple of years, and if you don't select for fin colour you get a range of red, orange <"and yellow fins">, with varying degrees of colour in terms of fins, involved, area and intensity.

cheers Darrel
Yeah that's why I was thinking that as well. I will say, however, that when my store first got them in, they did have this guy (they post youtube updates of what they get in every week, so I went back to the video to get a screen grab) and this guy was gone by the time I made it to the store to get one, but this guy is definitely a red. Can a pair produce different color variations (like labrador retrievers)?
1676558051152.png

livierrr

Hi all,

They can, Apistogramma cacatuoides is a <"polychromatic species"> (or <"species complex">). Because these are line bred you are going to get variations on a red / orange theme, rather than the whole colour range.

cheers Darrel
Interesting. Only fish breeding I've ever looked into is the easy ones, molly fish, for feeder fish for our pond of bass and sunfish and our long nose gar. Never had to think about genetics or colors or anything like that

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
meghanbe

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….