• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Java Moss Carpet

Sam

5 Year Member
What do y'all think is the bestway to create a java moss carpet? I was thinking of growing the moss on some kind of netting and then weighting the net down with pebbles. Would my dwarf cichlids get stuck in the net?Also, should I use cotton string or fishing line to attach java moss, java fern, and anubias to driftwood? Thanks!

aspen

5 Year Member
java moss doesn't reall grow in a 'carpet' unless you cut it with scissors. it grows in a bunch. it will attach to rocks no matter how you fix it, cotton string or fishing line will work. if it was me, i'd rather tie it to your rock or wood. then you can move it around. i hear plastic gutter guard works too.

rick

tjudy

Staff member
5 Year Member
I agree that java moss is not great for lawns. Try riccia or glossostigma. Here is a trick that works well for riccia.. buy a bag of onions with the fine mesh netting bag. Sometimes you can even find it in a GREEN color!!! If you want a rock covered in riccia, lay a thin layer of riccia in the bag, then place the rock in on top of it. Pull the bag tight to the rock and tie it off under the rock. Cut off excess bag.

You can use tweezers to add riccia under the bag in bare spots, but if you give it a few days it will usually fill in. The riccia needs to kept trimmed, or the upper leaves will shade those close to the rock. The lower will die and the rest of the riccia will float to the top. This usually takes a few months to happen though.

For a lawn, you can use a piece of mesh bag cut flat and held down at the corners by gravel or rocks.

Sam

5 Year Member
Slate?

Thanks, but I was hoping to have some sort of carpet for my low light, no co2 aquarium. Most of the ground will be covered by a mound of driftwood and rocks (which will be covered with Anubias nana, A barteri "longleaf", Bolbitus heudelotii, and java moss. I was hoping for a mossy, low growing foreground plant that could take low lighting. What if I attached the moss to slate?

aspen

5 Year Member
yes, that could be nice, provided you trim it like a carpet. most foreground plants i know of are relatively high light plants. ex glosso, microswords etc.

rick

Woodsy

5 Year Member
I've also done crypts to create a carpet-like effect, although it does take ages unless you have the funds to go out and purchase copious amounts of them. The fine leaved ones work the best, and in some cases you might even be able to get hold of crypt seeds that you can use to start from scratch!
Also, I prefer cotton for grafting as it is more asthetic than fishing line.

"I might not be the smartest girl in the world, but next to her I'm Alfred Einstien!" - My friend, Beck

locus

5 Year Member
Woodsy said:
Also, I prefer cotton for grafting as it is more asthetic than fishing line.

Thin Monofilament line is even better as you can't see it at all, although it is hard to work with! I spent ages tying riccia to rocks with this stuff but it works a treat.

Cotton is good for attaching java moss, java fern, anubius etc as it will rot away in a few months by which time the plant has attached itself to the surface.

I have found that when attaching java moss to rocks, sometimes it will not take very firmly unless the rock is extremely pourous. Depending on the type of rock, you may need to use monofilament line. If attaching java moss to slate, I would go for the monofilament!

To make it a bit easier, buy some fine mesh hairnets from your local chemst/drug store, this will work like the onion bag technique mentioned earlier but will be slightly less visible.

Have fun.

J

jbjnc63

I have also recently added some java moss to the tank, mainly because fo the low light requirements. I have laid some bunchs of it on top of some of my decorations and weighted it down with a rock. Hoping it will eventually attach itself and I can remove the rock, or it will just grow around the rock. The one thing I'm seeing I don't like about the moss is that it collects food particles. If you try to suck them off while cleaning the tank it sucks the moss up. Suggestions? I have a clay pot in one tank the would look really cool to have a layer of moss on it, but is this possible? Is the Java fern supposed to be attached on top of rocks or decor as well. I have a couple of ferns planted in the rock and seem to be doing fine.

farm41

5 Year Member
I have java moss in most of my tanks, and no problem with food particles getting built up there. Maybe cut down on the amount of you give your fish.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hutchy1998

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….