• Hello guest! Are you an Apistogramma enthusiast? If so we invite you to join our community and see what it has to offer. Our site is specifically designed for you and it's a great place for Apisto enthusiasts to meet online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your fish and tanks and have a great time with other Apisto enthusiasts. Sign up today!

Is the baenschi in the aqualog or the Mergus Atlas?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
No, it isn't. CAII is now 15 years old! The book was out of day (re: IDs) when it came out. It's not even in any of the supplement pages. A. baenschi wasn't discovered until 2003. It is in the "Aqualog Extra: Die nuesten/the latest Apistogramma" by Deiter Bork under A. baenschi. BTW Bork's "A. sp. Inka II" is the same species as A. sp. Zwilling, not A. baenschi (=A. sp. Inka I).

Apistomaster

5 Year Member
Mike,
I only have the Aqualog Cichlids II and the supplement booklet. I have never had any A. baenschi which looked as colorful as the specimens shown in the Aqualog II series. Is that because the true A. baenschi is not quite as intensely colored?

I seem to remember the wild pairs of A. nissenji and A. panduro were much more colorful than the tank raised specimens bred in the Czech Republic in recent years. Am I just remembering something so fondly that my wild pairs were much more colorful in my mind or do you think the run of commercially bred strains have lost some color over the years of captive breeding?

Mike Wise

Staff member
5 Year Member
The first photos I saw were by the Japanese collectors. They were good looking fish. Looking at the photo, I'm pretty sure much of the color was due to the daylight in which the aquarium was located. Then again, post processing of digital photos can 'improve' on nature. Mayland & Bork's book is a prime example of this.

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Kanihong

Latest profile posts

Josh wrote on anewbie's profile.
Testing
EDO
Longtime fish enthusiast for over 70years......keen on Apistos now. How do I post videos?
Looking for some help with fighting electric blue rams :(
Partial updated Peruvian list have more than this. Please PM FOR ANY QUESTIONS so hard to post with all the ads poping up every 2 seconds….